Failed to start addon - Mosquitto broker

On the weekend I did the same:
Moving from Synology Docker to Synology Virtual Machine Manager using this OVA.

• Do a full snapshot of the system
  • Download image:
    Home-assistant.io
    Alternative
    Download the .ova image
  • follow the create virtual machine instructions
  • Restore everything from the snapshot.

That went smoothly to a fully running system after quite some time letting everything be installed.
Even HomeKit survived the move (after changing the advertise ip in my config)

1 Like

Thanks for that, unfortunately it seems my hardware doesn’t support the virtual machine system, although possibly because originally it only had 1Gb of ram and I have upgraded it to 2Gb, do you know if the virtual machine software can be downloaded and side loaded?

Sorry, I do not know that.

First of all : do you have btrfs file system or ext4? Virtual machine in possible only with btrfs file system, if you have ext4 you’re “dead”. I’ve had ext4, too and i had to re-create my volume. The main reason i did that is that i want supervised and supported HA and i also gave up waiting for Synology to update Docker. In March Syno did post Docker update, but only bug fixes, no engine update…
If/when you’ll have btrfs then - if VM is not in your app portal - you can try to download VM file from synology downloads web page for another NAS device, similar to yours and see if it works.

Regarding memory: You don’t state which Syno model do you have and what’s machine’s RAM limit, but did you try to add bigger ram? 2GB is really low for virtual machine. In my DS920+ 4+4GB is official limit, but i have 16GB module installed (total 20GB) and works perfect.
Now i have two HA VM’s: real HA, which runs with 4GB RAM (yeah, it’s too much, but i have plenty of it :grin:) . Then i also have a test installation (for playing around), which runs with only 1GB of RAM quite good, so i guess you could try to allocate 1GB to VM and see the result.

Any permanent solution as opposed to islanding on an 3+ month old version of the supervisor?

I’m hoping for a solution too. I just ran into this when updating Supervisor to 2021.04.3.

Temporary solution for docker 18
run this command before docker start on host

cp -av `which docker-init` /dev/init

Reason:

1. when run with docker --init, docker will create docker-init as /dev/init in container
  2. newer docker version create docker-init as /dev/init in host too ,but docker 17/18 doesn’t .
  3. newer hassio supervisor mount /dev/ into container which make the the /dev/init in container created by docker --init disappear because reason 2

No thanks

1 Like