Failed to start wait until kernel time synchronized home assistant

I got this error and Home Assistant is not starting, can someone please help me.

And it is currently doing this

how and on what are you installing it?

hassos_ova-5.13 - VM Synology

I’m having the exact same issue. I’m using a RPi 4 8GB booting from a WD Passport Go 500GB SSD. Everything was working great until the update. Mine keeps rebooting every time it gets to this point.

My solution was to do a clean install and use a previous backup.

What update?

Home Assistant OS 6: Home Assistant OS Release 6 - Home Assistant. Everything was working great up to that point.

My ultimate conclusion to fix this problem, reinstall a fresh copy of HA and restore from backup.

I run into this issue as well on every upgrade of HAOS. I run my instance in Proxmox and a VM. The VM is installed using whizkerz007’s script.

Post the upgrade starting up is slow as it is waiting for the times to expire to boot further.

Looking into the error further the following is interesting:

[FAILED] Failed to start Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized.

# systemctl status systemd-time-wait-sync.service
Ă— systemd-time-wait-sync.service - Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-time-wait-sync.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/systemd-time-wait-sync.service.d
             └─timeout.conf
     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Fri 2022-05-20 08:18:38 UTC; 1min 59s ago
       Docs: man:systemd-time-wait-sync.service(8)
    Process: 159 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-time-wait-sync (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 159 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 20 08:17:10 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[159]: Failed to add a watch for /run/systemd/timesync: No such file or directory
May 20 08:17:10 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[159]: Failed to add a watch for /run/systemd/timesync: No such file or directory
May 20 08:18:38 homeassistant systemd[1]: systemd-time-wait-sync.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
May 20 08:18:38 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[159]: Exit without adjtimex synchronized.
May 20 08:18:38 homeassistant systemd[1]: systemd-time-wait-sync.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
May 20 08:18:38 homeassistant systemd[1]: Failed to start Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized.

when i manually start the service post booting the service starts successfully (see below)

systemctl start systemd-time-wait-sync.service
â—Ź systemd-time-wait-sync.service - Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-time-wait-sync.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
             └─timeout.conf
     Active: active (exited) since Fri 2022-05-20 08:29:43 UTC; 5s ago
    Process: 15302 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-time-wait-sync (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 15302 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 20 08:29:43 homeassistant systemd[1]: Starting Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized...
May 20 08:29:43 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[15302]: adjtime state 0 status 2001 time Fri 2022-05-20 08:29:43.926251 UTC
May 20 08:29:43 homeassistant systemd[1]: Finished Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized.

On reboot it still failes to start. I wonder what is causing this as I do not want to install a fresh OS post every upgrade :slight_smile: I can live with a delayed start of 1,5 minutes as a full restart does not happen too much anyway, but I can’t stand that it doesn’t work like designed…

If you updated to 8.0, then go to 8.1.

@nickrout Yep. It was HAOS 8.0.
I upgraded to HAOS 8.1 but still the same result.

[FAILED] Failed to start Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized.

board: ova
boot: A
data_disk: /dev/sda8
update_available: false
version: "8.1"
version_latest: "8.1"

Ă— systemd-time-wait-sync.service - Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized
             └─timeout.conf
     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Sun 2022-05-22 13:55:21 UTC; 2min 20s ago
    Process: 158 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-time-wait-sync (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 158 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 22 13:53:53 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[158]: Failed to add a watch for /run/systemd/timesync: No such file or directory
May 22 13:53:53 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[158]: Failed to add a watch for /run/systemd/timesync: No such file or directory
May 22 13:55:21 homeassistant systemd[1]: systemd-time-wait-sync.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
May 22 13:55:21 homeassistant systemd-time-wait-sync[158]: Exit without adjtimex synchronized.
May 22 13:55:21 homeassistant systemd[1]: systemd-time-wait-sync.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
May 22 13:55:21 homeassistant systemd[1]: Failed to start Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized.

Have you figured out what was causing this issue?

I was trying to migrate from my raspi to proxmox on my r720 using this guide and everything works well as long as i dont try to reboot the machine.

I have very much the same after each clean install on an old laptop. This and failed to start Journal Service… Driving me nuts. Can’t update core via the terminal. Tried a lot, DNS, router, the works.

If you installed virtualbox extension pack, delete it. It worked for me. :grinning:

I encountered the same issue, in my case it’s due to NTP failed to perform DNS resolution during startup.

I previously setup Adguard Home as addon, that required HA host to set DNS server to its own IP. This normally works fine, however Adguard won’t run during OS startup, so during startup time DNS server is unavailable, hence it timed out in my case. I simply added a backup DNS in the home assistant config to fix it.

1 Like