Fan Control

So this may not be the right place for this, but I’m having difficulty getting the right terms to search for in Google. I have a ceiling fan that is powered by a simple light switch on the wall. On the fan itself there is a pull chain for the 4 settings, Off,Low, Med, High. Can I change this to a zwave switch of some kind and if so are there any recommendations. Thanks!

Maybe this would work for you?

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Control-Z-Wave-12730-Amazon/dp/B00PYMGVVQ

Thanks for the help. I took the plunge and got one. I have it hooked up, but HA sees it as a light switch, not as a fan control. I can control the speed of the fan from the wall but HA just has on / off and a brightness level.

Check this thread for more information about how HA sees the Fan Control and why - The last two posts are what I came up with as a solution.

Hope that helps!

Roddie

@roddie What did you add re the manufacturer_specific.xml and, and how is that updated to my installation?
Thanks

zarthan,

Edit the manufacturer_specific.xml file that’s in your config_path - mine is:

config_path: /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.1-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config

I added:

<Product type="4944" id="3034" name="12730 Fan Control Switch" config="ge/12724-dimmer.xml"/>

right after:

<Product type="4944" id="3031" name="12724 3-Way Dimmer Switch" config="ge/12724-dimmer.xml"/>

Then delete zwcfg*xml in your .homeassistant directory and restart.

Hope that works for you!

Thanks for the details.