Fan Controller Seen as a Light?

I have a few Leviton VRF01 fan controllers and they are showing up as lights with dimmer control. Is there a way to change them to fans in order to get low, medium and high? Using Z-Wave JS integration and controller.

Yep, wrap it with a template fan. Hereā€™s an example you can drop in your configuration.yaml:

fan:
  - platform: template
    fans:
      bedroom_fan:
        friendly_name: "Bedroom Fan"
        value_template: "{{ states('light.bedroom_fan') }}"
        speed_template: >
          {% set output = {0: 'off', 85: 'low', 170: 'medium', 255: 'high'} %}
          {% set idx = state_attr('light.bedroom_fan', 'brightness') %}
          {{ output[idx] }}
        turn_on:
          service: homeassistant.turn_on
          entity_id: light.bedroom_fan
        turn_off:
          service: homeassistant.turn_off
        set_speed:
          service: light.turn_on
          data_template:
            brightness: >
              {% set mapper = {'off' : 0, 'low': 85, 'medium': 170, 'high': 255} %}
              {{ mapper[speed] }}
        speeds:
          - 'off'
          - 'low'
          - 'medium'
          - 'high'
2 Likes

Oh nice, thank you! Iā€™ll give it a try, thankfully I only have three in the house. Is the issue a result of the Z-Wave JS integration being under development? I was easily able to change the device type of my z-wave contact sensor to door using the HA UI. Tried it with the fan, but didnā€™t work.

Submit an issue and attach a dump. That fan needs a device-specific discovery schema. Note that fans have recently changed in HA, and there are no presets for zwave_js fans yet. So youā€™d still only get percentage values, not low/med/high.

Thank you for the reply! I can definitely do that, Iā€™ll submit the issue/dump on the github. Having a problem with my garage door, but I assume itā€™s because they havenā€™t been fully implemented yet. It opens, but itā€™s just a toggle switch. Thanks again.

Garage doors are supported in the next release, 2021.3.

Great, looking forward to it!

Iā€™m just getting started with HA, and Iā€™m having the same issue (fan controller shown as dimmer) with my HomeSeer HS-FC200+ Z-Wave fan controllers, accessed through Isy944 integration.

I tried the template above, but I get ā€˜String does not match pattern ā€œDEPRICATEDā€ā€™ on several of the lines (the last four, and the line with {{ output[idx] }})

Any suggestions?
Thanks

If you want a template that doesnā€™t have set points.

fan:
  - platform: template
    fans:
      tv_room_fan_template:
          friendly_name: "TV Room Fan"
          unique_id: 983
          value_template: "{{ states('light.tv_room_fan') }}"
          percentage_template: '{{ states.light.tv_room_fan | int / 2.55 | round(0) }}'
          turn_on:
            entity_id: light.tv_room_fan
          turn_off:
            service: light.turn_off
          set_percentage:
            data_template:
              brightness: '{{ percentage | int * 2.55 | round(0) }}'