Fan modes for homekit thermostat for Sensi thermostat

I would love to be able to control the fan mode for my homekit thermostat

Anyone able to implement this? kirbs-/sensi: API Wrapper for Emerson Sensi WiFi thermostats. (github.com)

I’m sad this is still open. But maybe it’s just not a popular thermostat for HA users. I only just tried to turn on the fan for the first time and realized it’s not possible with my ST55 as a homekit device.

I just linked Sensi to my Google Home directly to see if Fan control is possible there, and it appears that it is not possible there either. Not sure what the best option is to get it working in HA, but it just might not work. Disappointing. Overall I’m happy with the thermostat, but fan control in the summer to move cool air from the basement is a must without AC.

You could use the link in the second post

and get that running and if it works and you can control your thermostat with it, make it run at boot of your HA instance ( Easier if HA is running on Debian) then using the link bellow to be send commands through ssh for turning on off and changing modes

Then make simple scripts with the code for every command you want to be able to execute.

Then you can make a fake thermostat

And add all commands you’ve made in scripts
Or make a fake fan and add commands there

I don’t have that thermostat but this workaround should give you basic HA and HomeKit ( through fake fan or thermostat ) control over it.

Thanks for the detailed reply! This is probably outside of my knowledge, but I will give it a shot.

Let me know where you get stuck and I’ll help you out if I can

1 Like

Won’t be able to work on this for a while, but this issue on that first github link (sensi api changed · Issue #6 · kirbs-/sensi · GitHub) is dated after the last commit to the repo in 2018, which was only to the README.md. I have concerns right out of the gate that this will be possible…

yeah that will be a problem, seems that they changed the api and the code in GitHub link no longer runs, and after quick google it seems the only way to control their thermostats is by using either iOS or android app.

Try adding it to HA using HomeKit controller integration ( that’s used for stuff that are HomeKit compatible) and from what I’ve read here Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat with HomeKit Integration | AppleVis it’s possible to control fan like that

Thanks again for looking into this, despite not even having the thermostat!

Yeah, this is the problem. I have it connected using the HomeKit Controller integration, as I’m sure the OP does as well, and it doesn’t provide fan control. I think I’m going to explore using Tasker on a plugged in tablet with the Sensi app installed to simulate button presses.

Then you can have notification integration of home assistant and have it send two notification with two tittles, off and on. Have a script use helper toggle to send this depending on the toggle ( you can then integrate this helper as switch in homekit) Then have tasker or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate&hl=en&gl=US follow this logic. Check notification -1 if notification has title this then turn on fan -2 if notification has title off then turn off fan , clear notification, and then just send it back to start check notification action. To clear notification you can use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freeup.clearnotification&hl=en_US&gl=US

I’ve used a similar way of automating a led lamp that only had a Bluetooth android app so old phone came handy

1 Like

If you want to go even further you can make a fake fan in ha with the script on off from that helper toggle and notification integration so you can have it in homekit look like a fan instead of a switch