Fans killing WAF

I’ve been using Home Assistant for a few years. I’ve been on an old version for a couple years. Recently I bought an Odroid N2+ to replace my old PI. I installed the latest Hassio and restored backups, moved my zwave stick over, etc. And got everything pretty much working. I converted to ZwaveJS.

However, I see a lot has been does with fans. I’m trying to understand it all but I’m struggling.

I have 5 Jasco 14287 zwave fan switches running ceiling fans in the house. I used to be able to say “hey google, set the ceiling fan to low (or medium or high)”. Now I have to say a percentage. WAF is tanking. We pretty much use Google exclusively for our UI and have loved it.

Is this fixable with some configuration? I see that there are no preset modes for this switch. Can i create them somehow? I have researched and I just can’t seem to figure out anything relevant.

Thanks.

TBH, there’s nothing you can do about it from the HA side and still have a “fan” entity.

every fan will still suffer from this whether templated or not - if it’s a “fan” entity you are stuck with percentages for speeds.

as far as presets there was even talk of not allowing named speeds as presets but I don’t know if that ever got implemented so you still might be able to template something there.

and your last option would be to create different switches that translates the fan speed names to percentages to control your fans but you would have to get really creative with how you name things to implement voice control.

I know Alexa allows for special routines but I don’t know if GH does and I don’t know how far you can go with that route.

I’ve tried pretty hard myself to get them to keep named speeds along with percentages for those that want them but was obviously unsuccessful. I even created a very highly voted for FR that has gone nowhere.

I now realize that my space heater, which I set up as a fan using templates and broadlink, is broken. So now I have to figure out how to fix that too, just to make it work, and I only have low and high on that and I hope I can figure out how to not use percentages for that.

Omg. Who the hell thought any of this was a good idea? The one guy with an infinitely variable speed fan? There are so many ideas I could have come up with as a better user paradigm than this percentage idea.

Jesus

1 Like

This issue and the breaking changed linked may help you or at least detail issue