Faulty HUSBZB-1 USB Stick? Need help adding Zigbee/Z-wave

Hi Community,

I’m a brand-new HA user, coming over from Smartthings. I have a R PI 4 running latest 2021.12.2 version of HASSIO. I purchased a HUSBZB-1 USB Stick from Amazon so that I can start adding my various devices. However, I can’t get either the Zigbee or Z-wave Integrations to work. Online and YT tutorials show this as a pretty simple process:

Plug in the USB stick, then HA will detect and be able to quickly add using the Zigbee and Z-wave JS Integrations. Here’s what happens when I try:

Supervisor shows the ZWave/Zigbee radios as USB0 and USB1 (/dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1).

Zigbee Setup
Config → I
ntegrations →
Add Integration →
“Zigbee” → (select port) →
spins for 20 seconds then →
(dialog) Choose Radio type (I choose “EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis” since it had the model of my stick; HUSBZB-1).
Then another dialog (also shown below) has pre-filled entries for Serial Path, Port Speed and Data Flow Control. I keep these as-is and click SUBMIT. Then Failed to Connect. Argh.
None of this is how I see this Integration supposed to work in the various tutorials. In those, you just choose the Zigbee integration, then pick your port and Success.

Z-WAVE
Again I search for the Z-wave JS Integration. I keep the option to use the Supervisor add-on, then it presents me with an odd dialog asking me for USB Device Path, “S0 Key” “S2 Access Control Key”, “S2 Authenticated Key”, “S2 Unauthenticated Key”, none of which I know how to provide. I tried pasting in /dev/ttyUSB0 as USB Path and SUBMIT. It says “Z-Wave JS Addon Is Starting”, then Failed to start the Z-Wave JS add-on.. Argh again.

Anything else to try before sending this stick back? I’m ready and willing to tackle some the more complex items required by HA but this is frustrating since it’s not documented and I can’t do anything with my system without Zigbee/Z-wave…

THANKS for the help,
Ryan

I was in the same boat as you with this device on Wednesday. I had to reboot the environment to get it to take. Did you go here and see that it was/wasn’t mapped? It wasn’t on this page, but once I rebooted the enviro, it picked it up and I could see it on this page just like all the tutorials:

Also, welcome! I came from ST but took the long road with a year detour to hubitat. I spent this week migrating 300 devices to HA.

Let me ask a very basic question. Are you located in North America?

If not, then the Z-Wave part of this stick cannot legally be used in your country and will not function with Z-Wave devices designed for your world region.

Yes US-based

Thanks for the reply, @Sergeantpup.
Yeah I’d tried Reboot Host a couple times. Tried plugging in USB while off and also hot-plugging it. In all cases I DO see the 2 entries in Supervisor-> Hardware but the Integrations just don’t work.

In fact the first time I plugged in the stick, HA auto detected it and added both the Zigbee and Z-WaveJS integrations (along w “Configure” buttons that failed to work/complete).

i have that stick I can test with with zwavejs2mqtt. I only have Z-Wave devices though.

Would it help you for me to test my stick?

@Prodigyplace thx for the testing offer. I plan to use the “standard” Zwave JS integration so I’m not sure if that’s the same thing as what you reference.

Ordered a replacement stick that ill test Tues night and will report back…

It is the basically same thing with just a different user control panel.

Looping back on this thread: it WAS a bad HUSBZB-1 stick. After receiving a replacement stick from Amazon, I plugged it in and both Zig and Zwave were able to work. I still needed to paste in the USB paths (on the Zwave, I think), but they both now work.

If anyone has similar issues/errors as I’ve noted above, you have a bad USB stick!

3 Likes

Can anyone here tell me which of the id paths belong to zigbee and which to Zwave.

I am having trouble with both :confused: And This kind of needs to be the starting point of my trial and error

“/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_51501C45-if00-port0”

“/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_51501C45-if01-port0”