Feature to set power limit of SMA STP inverter from Home Assistant

Hi,

I use the integration SMA Solar - Home Assistant. It works great for reading out a lot of data from the inverter. However, I would like to be able to dynamically set the power limit of the inverter from Home Assistant and at the moment that does not seem to be possible.

The background for the request is that I live in Denmark where the power cost changes every hour according to the prices on Nordpool. In the summer time we routinely have hours where the production of renewable energy exceeds demand so that we have negative power price where we are charged money for supplying power to the grid. Some times you are even paid money to consume power :slight_smile:

During these hours with negative power prices I would like to limit the production from my SMA-STP8.0-3AV-40 so that it exports little or no power to the grid and only produces what we need for our household. I got as far as calculating the setpoint for the power limit based on power prices and measured power consumption in my home before I realized that the stp…inverter_power_limit in the SMA integration is a sensor and not a number that can be set.

I use a similar approach to dynamically control the charging current of my ABB Terra ev charger to only charge with excess solar power, but in the OCPP integration GitHub - lbbrhzn/ocpp: Home Assistant integration for electric vehicle chargers that support the Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP). the current limit is a “number” and not a sensor.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Did you ever find a solution to your question? looking for the same thing

Same for me. I am also looking to solution.

I’m also looking for a solution to this. The documentation from SMA shows that it is possible to set the power limit using modbus. I don’t think it is possible using webconnect.
I think this feature will be more requested as the prices of electricity becomes more volatile. As an example, the lowest price of electricity in my area was -31.6 EUR/MWh on 2024-04-13. In that case it would be nice to create an automation that adjusts the power limit so that no electricity is exported or imported.