FED UP RANT, good bye HA

Oh your db was on the SD card. Yes, that would most likely be a very important factor. Will a current new default HA install still record all entities by default ? Because that is almost guaranteed to give new users a really bad first experience.

1 Like

Yes, and it will likely be even worse now (in theory) with all the statistics stuff too. Although of course the database has gone through a number of changes since those days, so it may have had improvements to make things better.

1 Like

Just to follow on from my previous comment about moving away from a RPi.

My original HA install was on a RPi3B with official power supply and high grade SD card (cant remember exactly but something like ‘extreme’). It ran well but would lock up every now and then and need a power cycle to sort it out. Eventually the SD card died and I put a new one in, but it always had a bit of a reliability issue.

Moving on I used a old Celeron NUC (ex store demo one I got cheap) and the experience was night and day. The only time I restarted HA was for updates. I was also trying to use the NUC for CCTV recording so upgraded to an i7 NUC once I got too many cameras for the Celeron. I later moved the cameras to a dedicated NVR so my HA is on a far over-spec’d machine, but hey, restarts are only a few seconds, so… winning.

Again, my HA only gets restarted for updates and is rock solid. I have a massive wifi network of iot devices, a heap of Z-Wave and a heap of Zigbee, all really stable.

1 Like

What started out as a rant, has morphed into a very productive discussion about hardware options. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

My good results on a RPi 3B+ could be heavily impacted by the fact that I’m ruthless about keeping the database I/O and size to a minimum. I exclude everything I can from Recorder, and keep long-term statistics in text files. Otherwise, it’s a plain vanilla HAOS install right out of the beginner “Getting Started” pages.

It does seem that Recorder is a weak spot in the HA architecture. There are options to use other databases, but as mentioned above, updating a live database remotely can impact reliability. It’s also not the sort of thing every user is going to be comfortable with. I’ve worked as a DBA myself, and am quite capable of making that change, but frankly I haven’t bothered.

I’ve seen lots of good ideas for improving Recorder, and even posted a feature request of my own, to allow retention periods to be set for each entity (feel free to up-vote if you agree!) Unfortunately this area doesn’t seem to be getting much love from developers. I think Recorder includes and excludes should be a prominent step in the “getting started” pages. Not doing so leads beginner HA users down a dangerous path.

3 Likes

Come on people, let the OP move ahead with his idea :slight_smile: he had already made this mind, he was not looking for anyone to change his mind or help him, he just stopped by to say goodbye.

Goodbye @Bacon-Ranch , let us know your updates on Smartthings or whichever you picked.

On the other hand, if you were actually didn’t make your mind, please just ask in a proper way. Half of people here are trying to explain you about pros/cons of HomeAssistant, which might not be needed at all.

Then you should try openHAB 3 as it has good zwave support and is open source.

1 Like

And now the RPi disconnects everyday from the ethernet connection and needs to be re booted.

Happening to me as well. Kinda curious as to why its been ignored for so long. HAOS doesn’t come anywhere near maxing out the Pi so it would otherwise be the perfect system to run it on.

1 Like

I know how to write a good click bait title…all about marketing and giving people what they want lol

thanks for taking the time to help friend

I belive it was the history and log book jamming up the SD card, disabled those 2 and deleted the DB but still need to re boot several times per day, possibly a bad sd card about to fail? Z wave works better now after starting from scratch and re adding and configuring 60 devices, automations, et all

1 Like

Very likely.

:wink:

1 Like

what is this integration you use to monitor your pi?

I monitor Pi’s and other linux systems with the same script.

zwave is a PITA. I use it on my ISY not directly with HA, just for some things. My lights are mostly still insteon. Never thought I would have anything good to say about Insteon, until I started doing ZWave…

Something happened over christmas, not sure what but random devices stopped talking. Got a bunch of repeaters, recently got a zniffer and read up on v3…v5…v7 s0 and s2 security. Spent 3 days rebuilding my network over and over,moving repeaters around, finally stabalized again. But what a mess…

Just sayin, if all your issues are zwave related they may not be HA related, but good luck in your search for the zwave holy grail…

And bring zwave defenders into the arena :slight_smile: joke aside some people are very happy with wifi, some with zigbee and some with zwave. As there are many external variables impacting the performance and variety of different level of expectations are bringing us into here :slight_smile:

Honestly I had some problems early on and I would absolutely attribute it to the Pi. I had an SD card failure and that is when I decided to move to a more stable platform. I purchased a gigabyte brix j4125 mini computer added 16gb of ram, and a 256gb nvme. I setup debian and installed home assistant and I have never been happier. Super fast and zero issues. Setup did not take that long either.

1 Like

You replied to the wrong person.

@mgouzenko , see response from Andrew.

Haha, yep ,well I’ll bite… My Z-Wave network is super stable and very fast. As Justin also eludes to, it comes down to your hardware.

2 Likes

Grrr the screen must have moved before I hit the reply button. Sorry.

Second bite. Just for fun. And just because i have the feeling, that Z-wave needs some love, having difficult times in the world of cheaper alternatives.
Well, i still do not regret any penny put in to Z-wave stuff. Just want you to know… :smiley: :smiley: