Feedback on Kasa HS105 smart plug

I was looking at wifi smart plugins that I could flash with tasmota, but that seems to be getting harder and harder to find plugs that can be flashed. I’ve now come across the TP-Link/Kasa HS105’s. From what I can see they are supported by HA “out of the box”, but I don’t see a lot of comments/feedback from the community. I don’t know if that means they just work or they are not widely used.

Any feedback on them would be greatly appreciated.

There is a long thread on them :

I have a ton of the Kasa switches including the HS105. Although there are issues with them in HA, there are a number of people working on fixing the issue. I along with a few others have created some pull requests which at least for us have solved the issue. I have almost 30 Kasa switches successfully connecting in HA without issue.

Maybe this will help you find a plug that you can flash with Tasmota:

I have 4 of the HS105 in addition to a few other HSs - and they all suffer from the same random disconnect problem; not often, but they do.
That’s why my last purchase was 2 Sonoff S31s - I flashed them with Tasmota which was quite a hassle, but worth it considering that they support energy monitoring which the HS105s don’t.

This week - after I just installed HACS - I found an integration that should support the Sonoff devices without flashing them: https://github.com/AlexxIT/SonoffLAN

I ordered few of the S31s and will try SonoffLAN - great, if it works.
If it doesn’t I can still flash them with Tasmota.

I like that I can rely on the S31s to be available 100% of the time which my HS105s, unfortunately, are not.

Just my 2cts.

I have 47 TP-Link devices have suffered the ‘unavailable’ like most others. The solution is not to use the integration. I have had zero issues since I went back to putting each device in the configuration.yaml.

The HS105’s were as cheap as they have been on Amazon, so I figured I’d give them a try. I was planning on giving them static IP’s and use a yaml file, which seems to be pretty reliable (from what I’ve read). I’ll certainly report back after I’ve had them for a few weeks.

Its been a few months. Any updates?

Sorry, totally forgot to reply. I’ve had zero issues. As far as I can see/tell they stay on-line all the time. I have multiple access points, so I have good WIFI coverage.

I would add that I have an HS300 and I have lots of drop out problems… Plugs go missing. When I look at the logs I see ‘communication error’. Not sure what’s going on. THey arent reliable for my application of them. I am using a static DHCP assignment and added via configuration.yaml and not a point-n-click integration.

Since there’s been some new releases since the last post here I’ll add that I have an HS105, HS100, and HS210 and no dropouts at all with the default config. However, I’ve only been using homeassistant for a month.