Feel like I am going crazy - Geocoded location issues continued

So this is a continuation of a thread I made about some geocoded location issues I have been having with my setup. If anyone has any ideas in the slightest, I would certainly appreciate some feed back.

First instance: Noticed that my geocoded location for my iPhone would jump to a single address over 800 miles away. Never any variation in the spot, exactly that one address every time. Downloaded life360 and let it soak for a few days; life360 reported consistently whilst HA Companion reported my phone as jumping to that location randomly all while I am at home and not moving. I have an iPad I keep running at all times that was reporting my home location fine, with no variations whatsoever.

Kind of the fix: Removed the HA companion app from my phone, deleted all instances and mentions of my phone from HA and re-added it. Since then, my phone location has been consistent and not jumping. BUT, now my iPad is jumping to that address with an odd amount of consistency that I did not observe with my iPhone. In the past 24 hours, it has jumped to that address 6 times, each time for almost exactly 53 minutes.

IMG_4690

Other variations in the location are from small, minor location jumps to say my next door neighbor’s address, which I expect to see from GPS.

Normally, I would dismiss it and chalk it up to variations in GPS signal and what not, but the fact that it swapped to a different device now concerns me. Another concern I now have is, earlier this evening I was on the iPad and noticed my time zone had changed - to exactly the same time zone as the location jumping, as they are an hour behind me. I also noticed that a time based automation that I was running, was still active (motion sensor based lighting) which leads me to believe there is more going on.

Some facts:
HA home zone location and time zone are set perfectly fine and accurately afaik.

iPad and iPhone are on different iCloud accounts, so it’s not a matter of someone being physically logged into my account in that location - plus ensured only the expected devices are on the accounts.

Router NTP and time zone are set up and are reporting accurate times.

iPad was moved to the my ISP modem, as I currently IP pass-through from an ISP modem to a managed router so I can monitor/manage traffic. Location jump persisted, so likely not a router or anything related issue.

When I actively saw the iPad location jump, I opened the HA companion app and went to map, and the location indeed had it at that location. After the app was in the foreground, the location updated to my actual address.

There are no proxy or VPN services running on my router or i-devices.

Both the iPhone and iPad have location services always enabled, with background app refresh on.

This issue has persisted through a back up and restore to a different device, as I swapped from a Rasberry pi to a X86-64 mini PC.

Thanks everyone

1 Like

Do you get the same behaviour on and off WiFi?

Have you recently changed routers and/or your home location?

WiFi SSIDs typically get geocoded by companies like Google to assist GPS. You’ll find posts on this topic here. Apple does it too.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252792176

Etc.

As far as I’m aware, it was the same. Now that my phone isn’t doing it, I don’t have a cell network connected device to test it on.

I am however letting my iPad reside on someone else’s wifi for the time being to see if the behavior continues.

My ISP was recently changed (within the last 3 weeks) but every geo service I have used to look up my IP address has gotten the location close enough, so I have my doubts about it being Apples wifi/GPS enhancement stuff they do, but it’s possible

EDIT: Did not make a difference. Location jumped again despite being on a never before used SSID and IP.

Do you maybe have a hub, like an Apple TV or HomePod? An iPad can act as one too. Maybe it’s influencing the location tracking.

I do have a hub, it’s an Apple TV. I turned off location services on the Apple TV earlier to test, still doing it unfortunately

Do you have “private address” turned on under the network settings? Otherwise, I’m out of ideas for now.

spooky, I have the exact problem that you describe with a location where the phone jumps to. and it’s more there than home. Tryed everything… reseting networking on the phone, updates, disabling use wifi for improved location. Nothing has helped. So it seems it has to be the companion app that has something wrong. Deleting the cache of the app also did not work. But for my wife’s phone it’s an Android xiaomi. tomorrow I will try deleting the app and everything. Hopefully i can use the same name again since I don’t wanna correct every automation i have with her phone :x:

I guess no solution yet and no issue on github.

A new idea for both of you: are you sure it’s not the device itself? On iOS you can check significant locations (under privacy settings) and an app such as Google Maps can track your movement.