Few Node-Red questions

I was finally able to get Node-Red up and running and have a few questions.

1. Is there a good way to run automation on at a particular time? I found a module called Big Timer but was unsure if that was the best way to have an automation run at a defined time.

2. Is there a way to have the automation that are in Node-Red show in HASS. There are automation that I will manually turn off if they are not needed. My guess is that I would have to create an input Boolean that I can manually toggle but wanted to see what others have done.

I use SchedX, but big timer is a popular one.

It should show up as a component/device. I wound up moving ALL my automation to node-red and use MQTT switches to control states of the automation along with “Traffic” pallette

Yeah if you want to keep your automations in HA, you would need to create an input Boolean or MQTT switch. But why use node-red if you’re going to keep your automations in HA?

Thanks. Some of my automations can run without intervention. But I do have a few items that either need to be turned off on occasion or might need to to be off because people are over and my normal routine is off.

You could run those based on an input_boolean in HASS then. I’ve got some for example where I toggle a slider in HASS to turn something on/off. The switch is in HASS, but the automation occurs in Node Red. Like this:

I would like to move over most if not all of the HASS automation to Node-Red but I still can’t figure out a way for the automation that is created in Node-Red to be in HASS. I started to convert some of the easier automations then realized that we use Alexa to activate some of the automation and they will have to be in there.

You would use an MQTT switch to enable disable an automation.

Expose the MQTT switch to Alexa. Use it to start a flow.

can you please give me an example of this

I have the same problem, I solved it using HADASHBOARD, where I can turn ON/OFF an automation

Examples of an MQTT switch?

You just create an MQTT switch in home assistant. It shows up in node-red home assistant pallette, you use it to start a flow. Super simple.

ok I created the switch, now how to get in node-red?

it’s a switch in your home-assistant palette

You do have the home-assistant palette installed in node-red yes?

in home assistant I don’t have a switch only : events, trigger, poll, call service and so on

yes?

That’s correct.

You have to have node-red watch for an event state change, and point it to the switch to watch for a change.

Please read what each thing does, and try them out. Having us tell you how to set it up doesn’t teach you anything. Use the event state.

The default “inject” node can be scheduled to run at a certain time.

I found that after a while of playing around and seeing what default options there were. Thanks.