Fibaro Swipe Gesture Sensor (FGGC001) Behind Picture Frame 😎

I bought a Fibaro Swipe gesture sensor and taped it behind a picture frame by the front door. Running off 4x AA batteries - has worked perfectly so far, and is still making me giggle every time. I sawed off a bit of useless plastic from the Swipe, and discarded the back part of the case, to make it fit within the depth of the frame. No other modifications needed:

Graciously demoed by my wife in this 29s video, while I giggled:

IMAGE ALT TEXT HERE

Z-Wave Tweaks

It’s a z-wave device, so added it in the usual (secure) way. It uses central scene, which is still not amazingly well supported out of the box. Had to stop hass, edit the zwcfg_*.xml file, and add these bits in: (then restart hass)

<CommandClass id="91" name="COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE" version="1" request_flags="4" innif="true" scenecount="0">
 <Instance index="1" />
 <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="0" label="Scene Count" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
 <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="1" label="Swipe Up Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
 <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="2" label="Swipe Down Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
 <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="3" label="Swipe Left Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
 <Value type="int" genre="user" instance="1" index="4" label="Swipe Right Scene" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
</CommandClass>

Automation YAML

The Swipe sends scene commands, but I’m not actually setting a scene – just using the scene trigger to run scripts. Here’s one of the automations:

- alias: Open Gate Gesture
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: zwave.scene_activated
    event_data:
        entity_id: zwave.entry_swipe
        scene_id: 2
  action:
    - service: script.turn_on
      entity_id: script.gate_press
    - service: tts.google_say
      entity_id: media_player.office
      data:

Z-Wave Scenes

Scenes are as follows:

• 1 = swipe up
  • 2 = swipe down
  • 3 = swipe left
  • 4 = swipe right

Have not tried gesture combos yet, but might experiment with them in future if I need to control anything else from this location.

Summary - A++++ would gesture again

Haven’t seen much mention of the Fibaro Swipe on these forums – so consider this my
5-star review. Was easy to install, works really well for the basic gestures I’ve tried, and was easily concealed.

Shoutout to everyone who's contributed to home-assistant - I continue to be in awe of this amazing project ❤️
8 Likes

That’s hands down the best setup of the Fibaro Swipe I’ve seen. Nice work!

1 Like

Cool! Looking at the specs, you can use sequences up to 3 gestures long, giving 36 unique sequences (4 gestures, no consecutive repeats). Do you know if HA allows for combining these sequences (or individual gestures) itself to emulate sequences of longer gestures? I’m thinking of door lock control, but would like more than 36 combinations should someone want to ‘brute-force’ it.

I’ve not tried the built-in gesture combos. If you wanted to make something using longer sequences with HA, i expect you could do something with a load of input booleans and timers… would be a bit hacky, but should be possible.

Set the gesture 1 input booean to true once the first gesture is detected, gesture 2 has to happen within 5 seconds of gesture 1 input boolean being set, etc etc.

Hey thanks for this :slight_smile:
how did you connect the fibaro swipe to HA?

it’s zwave, so however you normally pair zwave devices. depends on what zwave controller you have. I use an aeotec zstick

How thick can a material be to keep it working …like under a desk or behind a wall?

Thanks for the reply.

I am new to zwave and have just ordered a zstick gen5+. I run HA on docker.

Is there any particular guide that I can follow to set up zwave with my HA and also get the fibaro swipe working correctly with HA etc?

Thanks.

Your stick should be automatically detected . Then please read a bit the docs how to add devices . O think first of all U need to get familiar with home assistant and it’s components after step by step you’ll find out .we can help with particular questions but such wide range questions are hard to answer . Feel free to come back once you setup your zwave stick I’ll then try to help you adding and configuring the rest I ordered the sensor and will add it to my system once I got it here

1 Like

Thanks.

I having been using HA over 5 years now so I am very familiar with it. It’s just that i haven’t tried zwave and it will be my first time.

I will look up on Google and read the docs.

Cheers :+1:t3: