Finally! A Tasmota WiFi Dimmer with MQTT

I would think you could do that with some modifications if the rotary was able to connect one pin when turning one direction and do another when turning the other direction in pulses.

I bought this rotary dimmer switch
a774fd0f07bb37c4b36e4283d7b2294b3b764ed3

I noticed that you made changes to create native support for Martin Jerry SD-01. Based on the FCC ID it looks like the dimmers I’m playing with are just a redesign of housing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K67D43J
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K73QWT1

Pin-out appears the same with a quick circuit check and I loaded your MJDimmer_6310c.bin image. Haven’t reconnected the AC unit but it looks good so far (I did make 1 additional rule versus you notes in repo to enable red LED when power1 is off).

Can’t thank you enough, this is some great stuff. Next step for me is to figure out a 3-way dimmer setup with these.

I saw those in my continued browsing of wifi dimmers on Amazon. HA! Is there a AA type group for that? I figured they were the same with just a different faceplate. Could you post an actual pic of one as I am curious what they look like.

Funny you mention the rule, someone asked in the YouTube comments on my state of the dimmer video about the same thing. I ended up doing it on my switch as well.

I heard from a birdie that 3 way capable WiFi dimmer was coming in a few months… I don’t know anything other than that unfortunately.

And thanks for the feedback! I enjoy a challenge and sharing it with others for their home!

If there’s a group like that, I’m not sure I want it!

I was hoping to figure out some way to have a rule which published to the other device on dimmer updates (not sure that this works yet; maybe have to make tasmota rules parse JSON for keys in-place of %value%). I was thinking something like your video on the 3-way switch but I need to program the other device tonight.

IMO a much cleaner looking face, fits in a standard decora plate too.

Edit: just realized the back label actually calls this the MJ-SD02.

Also, creating rules to trigger on power and dimmer change seems to be working on these, it’s not perfect but I doubt you would notice if you weren’t looking.

@ Devanl

I just bought and flashed on of these (the MJ-SD02), but I haven’t plugged in yet.
While setting up the module with my FTDI, I noticed that the leds and buttons didn’t yet work.
Were you successful with yours? How did you configure your module? What were the gpio settings for the buttons?

@itswg
There are two we ate to do this. You can configure as a generic device and control lights and dimmer using custom rules. Not really sure why you would want to do this anymore but it’s an option. Alternatively you can flash an image from digiblur’s fork of tasmota that can support for this module included.

Make sure to read the readme from his fork as well for rules setup.

@Stewface did you end up getting one to try in Aus? I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you did, I am in Brisbane and looking for another solution now that WeMo wall switches are no longer available.

Just set that one up myself, I saw mine had the MJ-SD02 on it as well due to the different face plate I assume. Worked just like the SD01 though.

Thanks @Devanl for the link to the fork.

Hello,
I bought a Tuya dimmer, flashed it with Tasmota, inserted the code in the configuration.yaml and Hassio found the device. The on-off switch works well, while the intensity does not. If the intensity varies from the panel of the Tasmota device (browser and ip) the topic is recognized by Hassio, while if I act on Hassium the device does not respond. I used the code on this page. Where am I wrong?

Thanks @Devanl and @digiblur for your responses.

@digiblur, I was looking at the tasmota pull requests and it seemed like your code was merged. Is this true? Do you still have features in your repo that are not yet merged?

For the serial based Tuya dimmers that was all merged. I didn’t do one for the MJ dimmer yet as to make it fit currently it would still require some additional setup plus it would remove some button functionality. I am using my fork until I have more time to revisit it along with the additional state change fixes I have did for dimmers and HA.

Hi, I’m having trouble with this Tuya based dimmer…

I managed to flash it with Tasmota, all works from Hassio and the Tas GUI. BUT the faceplate it acting strange, it works but + and - are reversed and the touches don’t send MQTT signals.

I’ve tried the latest dev releases, @digiblur your modded bin. tried manually finding the gpo outputs, all with no luck.

I’m a bit of a noob and probably have wasted lots of time and made mistakes but I am now at a complete loss on what to do next.

As I say, it all works, just the faceplate doesn’t ‘talk’ to the Broker or GUI\

I only took one pic when I flashed it…

!

Not sure if that helps.

Thanks to all for the hard work and help!

No one? :cry:

Do you have the original firmware from it?

The way the Tuya dimmers I’ve used is the ESP8266 chip doesn’t do any of the dimming controls. The faceplate talks to the dimmer microcontroller and does all the up/down/off commands etc. The ESP8266 that gets flashed with Tasmota is more of a dumb pipe that feeds the states of the light switch along with feeding in the commands initiated by the user over WiFi.

Yes I do, I did see a thread saying there was some beta ‘unstable’ firmware for the controller, if this is the case though, does it mean this unit will never fully integrate?

Oh, and thanks for the reply :wink:

I’m looking for a UK dimmable version so this one you found looks promising, but where does it say it’s Tuya based? I’m just wondering if that’s why it’s not working as it may be a different brand.

It uses the Smart Life app, so I believe that makes it a Tuya??

It does look very similar to this Tuya branded one:

I’ll buy one and report back if it works (20-40 days later though due to being shipped from China)

1 Like

I have just bought one of Amazon hopefully it will work. Also I don’t have to wait for the slow boat from China.

Will let you know how I get on. The only problem we might have with these in the UK is the depth of it, as it’s EU style which tend to have deeper back boxes.

2 Likes