Finally Building a New Box

My HA box has turned into the ha ha ha box of late. I’ve been blaming all the updates, but in reality, I’ve been running out of the same folder since the last decade. There’s all kinds of mayhem in there. Getting new smart meters has pushed me off the cliff to consolidate the 4 old PCs running to more modern and efficient devices.
I’ve got a box running the media stuff, another one running HA, third is running Blue Iris and the fourth FreeNas. I have a fifth remote server running the PBX.
I’ve got an Odroid N2+ 4gb on order for HA, 2 Nvidia Jetson Nana 4gb, one for the media server, the other for deepstack, and an Asus Tinkerbox for the PBX. I’m stuffing everything in a one rack space box I got on eBay for $5 a while ago (and it’s blue!) with a 20amp power supply.
I’m probably going to make the Freenas box over with that other Odroid device that looks good for the purpose.

If any one has ideas or suggestions I should implement, feel free to comment. I know I’m gonna need some help figuring some things out like, power and reset on the front panel, what types of indicators etc.

tia

4 Likes

Got the front panel stuff in and most of the mounting standoffs.
Adding an Esp32 to control 4 relays for the ability to power the individual devices seperately. The membrane switch will connect to it for local control.

Still waiting on the Odroid N2 +. Would anyone have or know where to find a schematic for it with the mounting hole layout or a template of such? Want to put the standoffs for it in.

dry fit the stuff in.
Odroid N2+ for Home Assistant (on order)
Asus Tinker Board to run Incredible PBX.
Nvidia Jetson Nano for the Plex Server and related apps
Nvidia Jetson Nano for Deepstack et al
ESP32 for power relays on the above 4 devices
5 Volt 20 Amp Power Supply

next up is the wiring harnesses.

My “server rack” where this will live. I’m replacing the bottom two desktops. The third is the Blue Iris host.

Harness is done and the three present boards are wired and running.

Got the shipping confirmation for the Odroid N2+, should arrive on Monday!
I had to swap out the Tinkerbox S for a RPI4 as I couldn’t get the IncrediblePBX to run properly on it and figuring it out is above my pay grade.

Got the Odroid N2+ this morning and popped her in. Have some leds to connect and wiring left, then its off to transferring.

2 Likes

Nice build you’re doing here. Very interesting. :+1:

Don’t you think, it’s a little crowded in there? :smiley: I hope there won’t be any heat problems. :slight_smile:

Thanks.
Heat has been in the back of the head during the process. There are two fans at the back with intake vents on the sides at the front. With the lid on and both fans at full tilt, decent air gets pulled through. Loudly. There is a fan on the pi. The Odroid is sinked at the bottom, I raised it from the deck and stuck a vertically mounted fan to keep the air under it moving. Hopefully that will be enough. If not, I have a plan b. Some dual inline fans that sound like jets I scrapped from a blade server.

That’s the thing, the louder the more diverted air… :smiley: If you want it a little quieter with your plan b, I can highly recommend these vents:
https://www.amazon.com/Noiseblocker-NB-eLoop-300-1200RPM-83-92CFM-24-28dBA/dp/B06ZXZ996G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eloop&qid=1616460872&sr=8-1

They are really quiet, expensive, but really quiet. I swear, 30cm next to them you only feel the air, but you can’t hear it. :slight_smile: I used three of them for a smart window fan. Gorgeous! :slight_smile:

I’ll stay tuned! :slight_smile: :+1:

Took a thermal image, not too bad after a couple hours.
I read about those type, expensive tho as you said. It’s going in a closet replacing 2 desktops, I’ll deal. Over the summer I plan on moving the whole shebang to another closet, so noise it’s not really a factor.

I think I’m good with heat. Although the power supply might need some attention. The heat sink has created a tunnel from front to back on the left side. I might have to grid hole pattern in it to allow air flow at the front, (maybe another small fan there as well) The other intake is opposite on the right front. What do you think?

add: just noticed only two of the four fans were running overnight. The one of the Nano fans and RPI were off.

1 Like

Couple few more things to do, then in the rack she goes . . .

2 Likes

Looks good! :slight_smile:

Can’t you use the “buttons” on the HA logo on the front side to drill some small holes? They would be just in front of the power source and it’s not that hot, maybe they would be enough?

Thats an idea, but I don’t think enough flow would get through. I’m going to cut a hole for a small fan on the back end of the heat sink plate of the power supply. That will pull air in from the left side to the center. I think I’m going to put run some 1 wire sensors on the power supply and other areas for input with fan speed control. Only half the sbc are calling for cooling so half the fans are running. I’m going to have to come up with a control program some sort.

That would be a cool idea. :slight_smile: I’d love to see what you come up with. You never know when this comes in handy. :slight_smile:

I’m currently designing something like in this video, controling these things would be good. :slight_smile:

that’s alotta fans . . .

And that is exactly why I’m interested what you come up with. I’m neither a Youtuber, an influencer or a wealthy guy, so buying (or getting sponsored with) that many fans is not in the plan. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

But it is a great build as well. He has a lot of these videos. Not one device, that he wouldn’t rip apart and build something very cool out of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that’s an inspirational build. Think it’s about time I update my setup.

1 Like

Hello,

Verry nice project ! :scream:

The paint of the case is DIY ?