Fire event when z-wave device is powered on

Hi All,

I’m currently playing around with home assistant and some z-wave devices.
My goal is to be able to switch on/off my bulbs/relays in home assistant, but also on the wall switch. I can attach a spring to my wall switch, so it would always be powered on, apart from when I press and hold the switch, then powering on again after i release the switch.

I’m thinking I’ll have to make something that detects whenever the bulb/relay is powered on (as this is when the wall switch is pressed and released) which will toggle the state of the device.

Is it possible to make such an event or something similar in home assistant, that is fired when a z-wave device is powered on?

I have a zipato bulb and a qubino relay.
Thanks in advance.

So after some more research this seems to be trickier than i thought…

Some states that it is possible to get special bulbs that can do what i want to achieve.

the Domitech bulb should be able to turn off if disconnected from power source twice, as stated in the link to vesternet.
Problem is, I think they are pretty old and maybe also discontinued, so that is not the way i want to go.

One guy on the Zipato forum states that he can toggle the Aeotec bulb with a momentary switch, but as far as i have been told it was only possible to change colors on switch on-off.

Has anyone been playing around with the Aeotec bulb and got it to turn on/off on a momentary switch?

https://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-domitech-dimmable-smart-led-light-bulb-60w

Unless you really want an RGBW lamps that you can control the color of, why not just instead replace your switch with a Z-Wave dimmer and continue to use a “dumb” light bulb?

1 Like

Z-Wave devices are intended to stay powered. If you turn it off then it will be marked as Dead by the Z-Wave stack. If it stays marked Dead for too long it’ll be marked as Failed, and then the only thing you can do is remove and re-add it as the controller will refuse to communicate with it.

@Imamakos
that could be the solution, But I can’t find a relay that fits into my power outlet. I live i Denmark and have fuga power outlets, which means the qubino relay is too big to fit behind the switch unfortunately.

@Tinkerer
That’s a fair point, and I just got aware of that. The Spring would turn on the power immediately after it’s turned off though.

If the aeotec bulb cannot do what i intend to do I might go the more pricey way and play around with the Logic Home ZHC5010 wall switch for fuga installations (https://apps.athom.com/app/dk.logichome).

Has anyone tried to use the logic home device with Home Assistant?