Fire HD 10 Kiosk Mode 2022

Hi guys!
Amazon‘s Fire HD Tablet are cheaper now during the black week.
I wanted to ask you, if the recent Tablets still work with the kiosk mode app? Any differences between with and without ads?
Any experiences?

Fully Kiosk works great on a FireHD 10 with no launcher hijack required. I always pay to have the ads removed. Else
the device tries to go to the login screen on idle. I’ve no complaints using it as a wall mounted dashboard.

So with ads the kiosk mode does not show up immediately after wake up?

It reverts to the login screen occasionally. It’s worth the extra few bucks not to have to deal with. I honestly don’t know what the actual experience is over the last 9 or so months as I don’t buy a fire anymore without also paying to have the ads removed

Buy with adds and remove them with fire Toolbox easy. Mines been sorted with this for a year. Even had to look up how I did it as I had forgotten it works that well.

2 Likes

@Arh there seem to be some problem with the latest fire os. I guess I would go with the ads free tablet like @NathanCu said. I just want the kiosk mode, no need for the Playstore.
Thank you guys!

You can download a Fire-specific build of Fully Kiosk Browser from a link on the right side of Fully’s web site.

With the screen set to always awake, the only time that any of my wall-hanging Fire tablets show the ads is when they reboot after an OS update. All of my recent purchases have been with ads, since they essentially never get displayed in always-on mode…

2 Likes

Picked up the HD 10 for around $75 US…good deal for an HA controller.

Word of warning…though I did not do so, and things seemed to have worked fine, the folks behind the Fire Toolkit recommend not associating the tablet with your Amazon account before adding it to your cart (there’s a small checkbox below the “add to cart” button). Otherwise, the tablet may automatically connect to your wifi (if it’s stored) and update to a newer FireOS, which may prevent some of the Fire Toolkit features from working.

Mine seems fine, but I’m also not using it for anything other than Home Assistant. Just disabled pretty much all the Amazon stuff, installed the APK version of Fully Kiosk browser, bought and set up the license, and then turned off internet access for the tablet at my router, so there’s no chance that any Amazon stuff can phone home.

I set up Fully Kiosk to connect to my HA via the internal IP address, and it’s working perfectly. My onlyl gripe is that the motion detection via camera is almost too sensitive, so it’s hard to get the screen to turn off without immediately coming back on again.

And if anyone is looking for a stand, I designed one for easy 3D printing, and put it up on Printables.

Just got mine delivered. Looking forward to set it up.
@devhammer May I ask why did you deal with the fire tool if you only need fully kiosk?

1 Like

@illi Mostly just wanted to clear out anything I could that I wasn’t going to use. Even with the Fire Toolkit, I wasn’t able to get rid of all the Amazon apps, but no biggie.

Given Amazon’s desire to sell the hardware cheap in order to use it for selling and surveillance, I am taking as many steps as I can to prevent those behaviors. Also don’t want lockscreen ads interfering with fully kiosk.

Probably would have been just as effective to simply block the device’s internet access, but if for some reason I have to turn that back on, I’m more confident that it won’t suddenly update the OS and screw everything up.

Definitely not saying it’s something everyone needs to or should do…all depends on how comfortable you are with the default apps and behavior of the device. I literally just want a touchscreen to control HA, and nothing more.

Hi,

1. I’m using the Amazon Fire-HD 10 Tablet (wall mounting) with no access to the power button.
    there is any option to turn on the screen without the need to press the power button?
    currntly im using browser_mod to turn on/off the screen but it’s not 100% stable.

2. There is any option to use the built-in camera to turn on the screen?

Thank You,

Isn’t that possible in the paid version?

Paid Fully kiosk, yes.

1 Like

Thank You :slight_smile:

I strongly recommend paying for the full license for Fully Kiosk Browser even if you don’t need the extra features, to support the developers of this most awesome and useful app…

2 Likes

Has anyone had trouble with HA not loading in this browser in Fully Kiosk? I got the login screen, then have been staring at the HA logo on a blank white page. It never gets past that.

Is there a minimum Android browser version that HA supports? Mine is 5.1.1 (Fire OS) (SDK 22)

I get a warning "beware of the outdated Android webview, version 49)

1 Like

Fully supposedly throws that warning on all Fire tablets, because webview is locked in ROM and cannot be replaced. IIRC, there’s even mention of this on the Fully web site…

Well that’s ok then I guess. I managed to get it upgraded to v55 by doing all the FireOS updates. But still the same issue, plain white page with the HA logo in the middle, forever.

I created a dedicated User in HA for logging in from this device, are there special requirements it needs permission to? I have a dedicated dashboard that is NOT admin only, and I temporarily set the User account to be able to log in from anywhere (not just local network) in case that was an issue.

@schuss42

Did you find a solution?
I do have exactly the same behaviour.

I am about to order a Fire HD10, sole use will be as HA wall mounted dashboard. I bumped into this thread and noticed there are some problems with Amazon’s new FW? Is this still a recommended solution or should I look for another tablet?