FireTV App Not Opening when Selecting Source

I have a couple of FireTVs integrated via androidtv and connected using the Python ADB implementation. Everything is working as expected except one thing. I am able to open apps via the “Services” page by using media_player.select_source, selecting the entity and source: 'app_id'.

The exception is fuboTV. This is only app that I cannot get to launch and this is the case on both FireTV devices. The app_id is 'com.fubo.firetv.screen'. My config entries are below:

- platform: androidtv
    name: FireTV Basement
    device_class: firetv
    host: 192.168.10.36
    apps:
      com.disney.disneyplus: "Disney+"
      tv.emby.embyatv: "Emby"
      com.fubo.firetv.screen: "fuboTV"
- id: 'automation034'
  alias: 'Start fuboTV via Harmony'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: remote.living_room
  condition:
    condition: template
    value_template: '{{ trigger.to_state.attributes.current_activity == "Watch Live TV" }}'
  action:
    - delay: '00:00:05'
    - service: media_player.select_source
      data:
        entity_id: media_player.firetv_living_room
        source: 'com.fubo.firetv.screen'

This works for Netflix, Disney+, Emby and all other apps that I tested.

The media_player.select_source service sends the ADB command monkey -p specified.app.id -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1. This works for most apps, but not all. If it doesn’t work, then you’ll need to figure out the right command to launch the app and send it via the androidtv.adb_command service.

Some resources:

Thanks! A lot of this is way over my head. I read through the links you shared. How would I go about figuring out the right command to launch fuboTV?

Edit: Ok, so I ran:

command: pm list packages | sed -e "s/package://" | while read x; do cmd package resolve-activity --brief $x | tail -n 1 | grep -v "No activity found"; done

com.fubo.firetv.screen was not listed at all. Also, oddly, com.fubo.firetv.screen is not listed as a source either. When I start the fuboTV app the correctly listed as com.fubo.firetv.screen

@VMCosco I know this is way old but I was curious if you get past this. I just picked up a CCWGTV and have been figuring out the android tv support in HA. My guess is the app was not running when you ran that command.

I never came back to it. I no longer had a need to do it so I gave up.

ok cool

just to close it out. it seems androidtv likes to close background apps. To get around this I created a script I can invoke through google assistant that starts an app. From there you could switch to it, etc.

I’m having the exact same issue with com.fubo.firetv.screen

@apivaral - Did you ever find a solution?

1 Like