FireTV: Failed to execute an ADB command; will attempt to re-establish the ADB connection in the next update

Hi there,

I tried to setup the new FireTV component, but failed.

1. I created an adb key from my windows
  2. On my Fire TV Stick I confirmed, that the key has always access to the stick
  3. I copied the keys (both) to my config
  4. The key has permission 644
  5. I’m not connected with my computer to the stick anymore

Here is my log:

2018-12-05 22:22:50 WARNING (SyncWorker_19) [root] Couldn't connect to host: 192.168.xxx.xx:5555, error: Connection reset by peer
2018-12-05 22:22:50 ERROR (SyncWorker_19) [homeassistant.components.media_player.firetv] Failed to execute an ADB command; will attempt to re-establish the ADB connection in the next update
2018-12-05 22:23:01 ERROR (SyncWorker_8) [homeassistant.components.media_player.firetv] Failed to execute an ADB command; will attempt to re-establish the ADB connection in the next update
2018-12-05 22:23:12 ERROR (SyncWorker_11) [homeassistant.components.media_player.firetv] Failed to execute an ADB command; will attempt to re-establish the ADB connection in the next update
2018-12-05 22:23:24 ERROR (SyncWorker_11) [homeassistant.components.media_player.firetv] Failed to execute an ADB command; will attempt to re-establish the ADB connection in the next update
2018-12-05 22:23:34 ERROR (SyncWorker_9) [homeassistant.components.media_player.firetv] Failed to execute an ADB command; will attempt to re-establish the ADB connection in the next update

Here is my config:

media_player:
  - platform: firetv
    name: Fire TV Stick 4K WG
    host: 192.168.xxx.xx
    adbkey: "/config/android/adbkey"

I restarted my home assistant, but still the same issue. I also created a new key pair, but still the same issue.
I have the new 4K Fire TV stick.

Anyone any idea, why this is failing?

Are you sure you can ping your FireTV ? I mean that everything is connected to your wifi ?
Here are some other discussions, you are not alone having errors, and the problem seems quite complex. Hope this helps, good luck! :wink:

Yes from my console I can perfectly connect to the fire tv. But HA (on the same network) has these issues.

Anything else I can test?

Ah, cool. Someone in the same boat! I’ve got the same problem and I hardly doubt that it’s a network problem. Any of my other devices work perfectly on the network. I noticed that it seems to sort of work if I start Home Assistant and do nothing with the component. Then it (sometimes) shows the state of the Fire TV. But as soon as I perform an action, say, turning it on, it will break. So I guess it’s a bug with the component or - as suggested by a1ex4 - with the python-adb library: https://github.com/google/python-adb/issues/136

1 Like

There have been times that, especially after a power cycle, I have had to visit each firestick and do a restart on the device before HA would play nice with it again.

Ok to see I’m not the only user :sweat_smile:

@JeffLIrion Any idea what that could be?

I posted a reply here: Can't get new Fire TV integration to work