First Alert OneLink CO/Smoke Detector?

Very interesting. I can’t find that model on the First Alert website anywhere. The only place I can find it is at Lowes. That being said, it looks identical to the model I posted. I wonder if they’ve just released a newer model? Or maybe lowes had a unique model number for that model of OneLink alarm.

Certainly frustrating as I’m interested in using this alarm, but I won’t do it if it’s integration with Home Assistant is lacking. Guess I have no choice but to purchase and test.

FYI, for anyone still wondering about the functionally of these units with HA, THERE IS NON, even though the units are integrated in HA with various sensors as previously mentioned in my previous post here, non of them reflects the actual state of the detector, as you can see below, the state of all sensors are off and has been since integrated with HA, the smoke detector was actually just triggered 30min ago (wife burning down the kitchen :rofl:), and non of the sensors state changed for the entire duration of the smoke alarm.

1 Like

This is what I am most interested in. I mainly want to use them as TTS devices for announcing things like the doorbell being rung or laundry being finished or mail being delivered. I haven’t found a way to get the speaker to show up yet.

Hi all,

Maybe this could work for everyone using a OneLink smoke detector:
https://www.insteon.com/smoke-bridge

I don’t have such bridge or smoke detector, so I don’t know whether it will work. Just dropping it here for future reference.

Edit: As PureeTofu mentioned below, this is probably not a good solution for integrating the smoke detectors into HA.

Unfortunately an Insteon hub now requires an annual subscription according to their website.

However, the Home Assistant integration states that Insteon Cloud has been discontinued.

The URL on the Insteon store page takes you to a dead URL on SmartHome.com

All of these things combined make me leery that this is a viable alternative.

What’s odd is that you can add the devices to Apple’s HomeKit but not Home Assistant’s HomeKit Controller. This is because when you remove the device from Apple’s HomeKit it deletes the WiFi information from the device.

2 Likes

That is terrifying!

Any idea why the states didn’t update?

I have no idea.

I was able to add my OneLink Smoke and Sound hardwired alarm model 1039102 to Home Assistant OS. It uses the HomeKit Controller integration automatically. I can adjust the color, brightness and volume level. I can see the firmware and hardware version numbers as well as the battery level. I don’t yet know what the other sensors represent or what the ‘button’ is able to do (or not do).

One of our alarms went off at 4am a few days ago. There wasn’t any smoke in the house. The onelink app and homekit on the phone both did not indicate any alarms at all, so that at least matches with home assistant saying no alarm.
The alarm that triggered said ‘smoke detected in downstairs’, but all the others in the house just beeped incessently with no indication of what was wrong where. I’m considering disconnecting the interconnect wire so everything connects wirelessly instead, as I think it isn’t transmitting the what and where over the wire… then i have to figure out what to burn in the basement to test it out.

Guessing that the actual cause was dust. they’ve been installed a bit over a year

Very cool! Via WiFi or BLE? Let us know when you have the chance to test the sensors / states further.

Has anyone revisited the Onlink Hardwired Smoke and CO detectors now that HA supports connecting to devices via BLE for Homekit?

Anyone manage to get it working? I can manage to get HA to see that it is there, but I mostly get a “cannot connect” error when I try and pair it. Not much info in the debug log either.

Any suggestions? Anywhere I should submit this information to help improve/test various hardware with the new integration?

Thanks,

I’m also on the same boat @creedda, I have a few battery powered ones and getting the same error as you, although the devices are recognized by HA, they just don’t pair.

I don’t have Bluetooth in my Home Assistant instance but (spit balling here) it may be due to the WiFi network.

I think the WiFi module in the smoke detectors required a 2.4GHz network. I know that the FirstAlert.app was wonky to setup the units.

I’m having the same issue as reported by @creedda and @wzaatar with my Onelink Wired. No issue with WiFi (which I understand the smoke detector does not use for Homekit) and I had no trouble setting up the unit via the First Alert app.

Yes, it only works at 2.4GHz, like most of today’s IoT devices. I could setup the units with the First Alert app without any issues.

@randyth, in my case with the wireless Onelink devices, the HomeKit setup is BLE but the devices then switch to WiFi @ 2.4GHz. I haven’t tested the wired ones but I’d be really surprised if they don’t onboard your WiFi network too…

I am also having the same issue as @creedda. Have tried multiple ways of getting these linked up to Home Assistant. I’ve tried starting the Configuration for HA straight after a factory reset, I’ve tried to configure after I’ve connected them in the OneLink app on my Android Phone, and I’ve even borrowed a relative’s iPhone to add the alarm in the Home app, then remove it, and try to pair from HA. All have the same result. I should note mine are the Battery model, but I don’t think that should matter too much as they are flashing blue as I’m trying to pair, so obviously awake.

Am pretty disappointed, as they pair pretty easily in the iOS Home app, and I thought HA was compatible with all HomeKit devices. Would love to find a solution, hopefully one that doesn’t need me using my wife’s aunt’s iPhone for an afternoon, too,

1 Like

Following up that I created an issue on GitHub here. Wanted to link it here so folks can hopefully follow some progress on the issue.

1 Like

Great news, gang. Looks like the next release of Home Assistant and ESPHome (which should come out one week from today) will have support for active Bluetooth Proxy connections, and the Smart Smoke + CO Alarm will be picked up by this new version!

I think there is still an issue with the bluez implementation correct? Just confirming that the latest release doesn’t fix things for those of us not using proxies and still on a linux based os.

Thanks,