First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Setup

I have the same problem with the dogs. I never silenced mine, for now I removed the level requirements from the template sensor and also added a trigger for my automation to trigger when it goes from “ok” to “unknown”. I’ll get the dogs out and push the test button here soon. and maybe try a burning something to try it out again.

So I just looked and both of my first gen ones are unavailable :grimacing: the newer model stayed connected… that’s unfortunate
EDIT: Also the battery life seems horrible in this first gen models… hopefully it’s just because of the back and forth between zwaves I have been doing so it is excessively interviewing and what not…

I was having trouble with my ZCOMBO after switching to ZWaveJS but was able to get it resolved. This this comment and the surrounding ones for details.

finally getting around to moving from SmartThings to HASS this week, getting ZCOMBO devices working was the first hurdle. I have 6 of the older ones from the start of the thread, rewrote the sensor.yaml a bit to make it easier to add multiples. couldn’t find any sort of case-switch statement for jinja so had to stick with if-elseif…

- platform: template
  sensors:
    detector_attic:
      friendly_name: 'detector attic'
      value_template: >
        {% set s = states('sensor.detector_attic_alarmtype') %}
        {% if s == '1' %}
          smoke
        {% elif s == '2' %}
          co
        {% elif s == '12' %}
          test
        {% elif s == '13' %}
          idle
        {% else %}
          {{ s }}
        {% endif %}
      icon_template: >
        {% set s = states('sensor.detector_attic_alarmtype') %}
        {% if s == '1' %}
          hass:fire
        {% elif s == '2' %}
          hass:molecule-co
        {% elif s == '12' %}
          hass:wrench
        {% elif s == '13' %}
          hass:smoke-detector
        {% else %}
          hass:help
        {% endif %}

I’m having some issues with this… someone please help me before I go insane…

Here’s what my templates.yaml looks like:
(I’ve got “sensor: !include_dir_merge_list sensors” in my configuration.yaml)

template:
  sensors:
        Kitchen Smoke+CO alarm:
        name: 'Kitchen Smoke & CO Detector Status'
        state: >
               {% if is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "255") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "1")%}
               SMOKE DETECTED!!!!
               {% elif is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "255") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "2")%}
               CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM!!!
               {% elif is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "0") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "12")%}
               Test!!! XXX Test!!!
               {% elif is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "255") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "13")%}
               Safe - Normal Operation
               {% else %}
               UNKOWN
               {% endif %}
        icon: >
               {% if is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "255") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "1")%}
               mdi:fire
               {% elif is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "255") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "2")%}
               mdi:cloud-outline
               {% elif is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "0") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "12")%}
               mdi:alert-octagram
               {% elif is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmlevel", "255") and is_state("sensor.kitchen_smokeco_alarm_alarmtype", "13")%}
               mdi:smoke-detector
               {% endif %}    

No matter what I try, the lovelace card still shows this:

I really appreciate the help!!

I don’t see the sensor you created in that lovelace card.

you created a sensor with a friendly name of “Kitchen Smoke & CO Detector Status”.

But you haven’t added that entity to the card you are displaying.

1 Like

Hey @finity
Thanks for the heads up!

I was able to get it figured out on my end… basically I had some indent issue as well.
Here’s my updated working template if anyone else runs into the same issue:

template:
  sensors:
    kitchen_smoke_co_alarm:
        unique_id: kitchen_smoke_co_alarm_status
        friendly_name: 'Kitchen Smoke & CO Detector Status'
        value_template: >-
            !!!SMOKE DETECTED!!!
            !!!CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM!!!
            TEST TEST TEST
            Safe - Normal Operation
            {% else %}
            UNKOWN
            {% endif %}
        icon_template: >-
            mdi:fire
            mdi:cloud-outline
            mdi:alert-octagram
            mdi:smoke-detector
            {% endif %}

I also added modified the top to include packages like so:

homeassistant:
    packages: !include_dir_named sensors
1 Like

Just want to give an update for these FirstAlert smoke/CO detectors. Super easy to set up now - didn’t have to do anything fancy. Went into the z-wave integration, clicked Add Node Secure, held the button on the device with the battery try open, then closed the battery tray with the button held down, done. It was added easily.

I then removed all entities other than CO and Smoke and set up automations to alert to my phone and through my sonos speakers if any of the detectors went off. Works beautifully.

I wish I could concur with your results. Mine still behaves the same as it always has - battery level, alarm level and alarm type. Doesn’t matter if I perform a secure or insecure inclusion. I just got the thing a few months back and keep trying every so often to see if something happened behind the scenes that would enable support. FWIW it’s reporting firmware version 0.5.

I just added mine (coming from SmartThings) and mine is also not showing CO or Smoke. Just battery, low battery, alarm level, and alarm type. The last two being disabled.

1 Like

Can you add more info? Screenshot? Which z wave integration?
Thanks

This is what I use:

1 Like

So for the sake of comparing notes, if possible, could we also list which First Alert (z-wave) unit / model we are using, and which version of FW in the alarm?

Reading through the thread, I have a feeling that we might be talking about different First Alert Z-wave units here and there, on top of differences on integration, and config/setup.

I’m saying this because First Alert might have gone through a couple of different iterations in terms of the alarm itself.

1 Like

I had this working fine in my legacy zwave integration. After updating to the new Zwave JS MQTT addon/integration, I cannot get the alarm types in. I get that the thing needs to be re-interviewed - the Zwave JS MQTT config screen actually properly displays the alarm type and state… but it just doesn’t appear in Home Assistant. I still only have the battery %, low battery sensor, and testing sensor. No amount of restarting the zwavejsmqtt addon, the zwave js integration, or Home Assistant seems to help.

Any ideas?

Do you have the first gen model? Not Zwave plus?

I’m having similar issues with entities with the first gen model and ZWave JS. I am able to successfully pair and interview the device but I only get Battery Level and Low Battery Level enabled with alarmLevel and alarmType disabled by default. When enabling those two I get readings of 255 and 13 respectively, which aren’t very useful. Any advice on how to get this properly set up?

The first gen model does not create those entities you have to make the template sensors yourself. There are some examples in this thread and a couple others.

Thanks for the clarification. I was able to add @reptar code above to my configuration.yaml to get this to work. One thing I might add after testing is I noticed that after an alert the alarmtype stick until the next refresh but the alarmlevel is 0. This causes the status to set to UNKNOWN unit the next refresh. I might add a line for each alarm type where if alarmlevel = 0 and alarm type = 1 then status = “Fire Cleared” or something to that effect.

BTW, there are 2 versions of these smoke detectors. The original version is way more difficult to set up. The newer version is basically plug and play, everything is WAY easier to do.

1 Like

Somewhere I believe someone posted their template sensor which accounted for that “unknown” state, if I find it I’ll add it here.