First Alert Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Setup

Here is mine that has alarm level 0:

- platform: template
    sensors:
      master_bedroom_smoke_detector_smoke_status:
        friendly_name: Master Bedroom Smoke Status
        value_template: >-
          {% if is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '255') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '1') %}
            smoke
          {% elif is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '255') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '2') %}
            co
          {% elif is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '0') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '12') %}
            test
          {% elif is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '255') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '13') %}
            idle
          {% endif %}
        icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '255') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '1') %}
            mdi:fire
          {% elif is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '255') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '2') %}
            mdi:cloud-outline
          {% elif is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '0') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '12') %}
            mdi:alert-octagram
          {% elif is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmlevel', '255') and is_state('sensor.master_bedroom_smoke_detector_alarmtype', '13') %}
            mdi:smoke-detector
          {% endif %}

Hi all! I just updated from the deprecated Zwave integration to Zwave JS. I had to re-interview my detectors to get them to show up (which they did) and then enable a bunch of entities. However, I no longer have “alarm type” or “alarm level”. Anyone have ideas if this is something new or do I need to do some reconfiguring to get them to show up?

You have the newer version of the ZCOMBO. You don’t need the alarm type or alarm level. All the available entities are created for you.

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation @freshcoast! I was curious because previously I had to do some creative config-ing to get the alarm type and alarm level to show up… my life just got simpler. Just need to change my automations. Thanks again!

Is there some detail model # or revision # of this “newer version” ZCOMBO? Would recommend we leave some traces here so that future users coming to this thread would know which is which and what to expect.

From your pics we know yours is with firmware 11.0.

So I just had an accidental trigger of one of mine from steam from the bathroom, and it went to alarm type 9, and beeped 3 short beeps once every 30 second or so.

Alarm type 9 doesn’t seem to have been listed by anyone else here before, but the 3 beeps thing I think would normally be CO?

Trying to figure out what it was trying to report so I can fix my templates.

Does anyone know what the alarm values are for the newer models? It looks like the smoke values idles at 0 and the CO value idles at 254, so I’m thinking of simply creating an automation sends an alert if they are not those values; but I’d like to know for certain and it would be nice to have a separate alert for test alarms (holding the button down).

You don’t need to use the old alarm values for the new models. The CO / Smoke / Test alarms are supported by default.

All the disabled entities (excluding the node status sensor) are redundant.

1 Like

I don’t see anything like that. Are those custom sensor templates? What I have is CO, smoke, and then three “Unknown” sensors. The CO sensor reads 254 and the smoke is 0, which changes to 3 when I test the alarm. I haven’t seen any of the unknown sensor values change.

No, those are all the default sensors created by the integration. Have you tried a re-interview?

Created by what integration? Zwave JS? Does that mean I have to upgrade from the legacy Z Wave integration (which from what I’ve read means I have to reconfigure all of my zwave devices, including the my other old model smoke detector).

Sorry, yes this is Z-Wave JS. I would recommend upgrading (there are plenty of guides and posts). Otherwise, the new models use the standard notification values defined by the Z-Wave Specs.

To the best of my knowledge the “ZCOMBO” should be the First Gen Non-Plus version. And “ZCOMBO-G” and “SMCO400” should be the newer Z-wave plus one. But I believe I have read some people getting either model from some retailers even though their website may have listed a different version.

Here should be all of them currently available:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/Search/Index?regionId=2&searchText=Combo

Thanks @Bartem for the link. So we have got 4 from First Alert, it seems:

1. Z-wave (non-plus), so Gen-1
    ZCOMBO: Device Version: v0.03 / Product ID 0x0002
  2. Z-wave Plus, Gen-2, and has 3 flavours(??)
    2a. ZCOMBO-G: Device Version: HW: 2 FW: 4.01:00.01 / Product ID 0x0003 / S2 Unauthenticated
    2b. ZCOMBO-G: Device Version: HW: 2 FW: 11.00:07.00 / Product ID 0x0003 / S2 Unauthenticated & Authenticated
    2c. SMCO400: Device Version: HW: 2 FW: 12.00:07.00 / Product ID 0x0058 / S2 Unauthenticated & Authenticated

So I believe what @shim895 has is the flavour “B” of the Gen-2

3 Likes

Reports as:

Here are mine:

Reports as:

Reports as:

Wow here I was thinking I was going to have to fight and hack to get this thing to work in HA. Added through ZWave JS perfectly with all the sensors I need. Only thing I wish there was would be a way to turn off and on the alarm. That way I can silence it without getting a ladder out and if I can trigger the alarm. I can use it along with my custom Home Alarm System. But A+ goes out to the ZWave JS team! :+1::sunglasses:

I had it setup like this and then for some reason I restarted the add on. All the sensors went unavailable and no matter what, restart, heal, reinterview, will bring it back. I’ve tried to even remove the integration, add on, then add everything back and search for it again. It keeps coming up “ The device was added insecurely” and never prompts for the ZWave DSK key like it did the first time.

Anyone seen this before and know a resolution? My guess is there is some data stored somewhere it’s regurgitating that needs purged but this is my first foray into ZWave.

What would be the best equivalent product for use in Europe ? I see this is using US frequencies only, and only satisfies UL standards (enough for US, not Europe I believe). I am struggling to find something Z-Wave+ (or Zigbee) based for use in Europe. Fibaro FGSD-002 had very bad reviews due to false positives, and I cannot find any review on ABUS SHRM10000. They are however “only” smoke detectors, not CO+smoke combined detectors. Thanks :smiley:

Yeah having the same issue, the device adds but only pulls in Battery Level, Low Battery, and Node status: Awake. Doesn’t show if smoke has been detected.