First installation - cannot get access to homeassistant.local:8123

Update: hello everyone, this issue has been resolved. I ended up re-flashing my SSD. I installed the SSD into my server, and then reconnected it to its final port location in my router. After that, i booted it up. HA ran boot and went into the homescreen. The difference now is that in the homescreen, the Home Assistant Core line item reads “landingpage” wheras before, it read “2024.6.4”. Im not really sure what that means.

Anyway, i logged on to it via 8123, and not i have access. Thanks for the help!

Original post:

Hello,

I am new to home assistant and am having a hard time accessing it. This is a first install. I have HA installed on a Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Client, going off of instructions here: https://youtu.be/iE0b8rjVglA?si=pQnXiOz5c18i_uPe

I also have my HA and my regular desktop computer connected to my router which is a Asus RT-AXE7800. I am doing the setup using Google Chrome

My observations:

1. With monitor connected to this client, I can see my HA boots onto its home screen that says “Home Assistant” in big print, and lists its assigned IP addresses and URLs for the home assistant ending in 8123, and the supervisor ending in 4357. It also stated I am running OS version 12.4, and Home assistant Core 2024.6.4

2. On my desktop, i login to my router and can see my HA listed in my connected clients and its assigned IP address.

3. I can get access to the supervisor page using both homeassistant.local:4357, and IP X.X.X.X:4357

4. I cannot get get access to the HA page when using either homeassistant.local:8123, and IP X.X.X.X.8123 i get this message pictured

Im not quote sure what to do from here. Can anyone shed some light on what I need to do? And maybe explain what I may have made a mistake on?

Thanks

Welcome! These are the official installation instructions:

Also note that the video you referenced has a warning:

*UPDATE - Error flashing via etcher?  Use this version of etcher, we found that the latest version has problems: 

Thanks! Yes and good point. I saw that in the first comment by the original poster and was able to properly flash. I followed the instructions for method 2 along with the video, but with one major difference: during the first boot-up my HA was connected to my modem directly, and not placed behind my router. This is because, while connected to my old router, i ran into an error saying “[WARN] Home Assistant CLI is not running! Jump into emergency console…” After some research i found most people got around the error by simply entering “login”, but unfortunately that did not work for me, and i kept gettimg that same error again.

So, i logged in to my router i was using at the time and noticed that I couldnt see my HA and and noticed my devices starting to lose connection, until finally, all connections died. No network access, and no internet access from any device. I figured my router was dead, so I connected my HA straight to my wall, bypassing my router. Sure enough, after it booted, it went straight to the homescreen. At this time, i knew my router was dead.

So, bought a new router, transferred my network over and now everything works. I moved my HA connection from the wall to the new router. It still boots perfectly fine, but n9w im getting the problems seen on my original post.

Is it poosible u mightve screwed something up by doing my initial boot if HA connected to my wall instead of booting behind my new router, where its final location would be?

What is the IP of HA, and is it on the same subnet as the device you are trying to access it from? There is no need to redact private IP addresses (192.168-addresses for example). Can you ping HA from your device? Open a terminal, type ping and then the ip of HA.

Networking problems are tough.

Using the connected monitor, where you can see the “Home Assistant” in big print, you should be able to enter HA Commands. So, it would be good to see the output from:

ha net info

My router, HA, and my desktop where I am accessing everything from both have 192.168.X.X numbers, so i believe that are on the same subnet, please let me know if this is wrong. they are 192.168.50.1; 192.168.50.103; and 192.168.50.79 respectively

I’ve also successfully pinged the IP of my HA as listed on the HA home screen. 0% loss, and was pretty much instantaneous

Yes that sounds right. I would try a fresh install.

Here is my output

You might want to try, before doing a fresh install:

ha core rebuild
ha supervisor repair
ha host reboot
1 Like

And then. I read the rest of the thread.

Connection refused - Either ha core is simply not running or is actively blocking the connection.

id do maxs resolution attempt first. If ha appears to be actually running and not accepting connection also look to see if you’ve ip blacklisted yourself from when you dropped the device outside your firewall. If those don’t then reinstall /restore backup

What kind of gear is running this again?

1 Like

I ran supervisor repair, and host reboot successfully.

However i get an error message for core rebuild that says “Error: Unknown error, see supervisor”

What can that mean? What are the next steps?

It’s worth double checking the url on the server monitor. As I installed haos as a vm my url was homeassistantvm.local with the added VM.

Also have you port forwarded port 8123 in your router to your server IP?

Port forwarding does not matter when you are on the same internal network. It is used for exposing services externally.