First time Home Assistant

Hello, I’m building my first raspberry pi for this Home Assistant effort. Seems to be going well. One question, in the HA install instructions it says: “The Raspberry Pi will now boot up, connect to the Internet and download the latest version of Home Assistant. This will take about 20 minutes.”. Given that you can’t hook up a UI, is there any way to tell when home assistant has finished downloading and the raspberry pi is ready to be accessed? Sorry for such a newbie question. Thank you.

You can access the HA web interface at http://IP_OF_THE_PI:8123

You can still hook up a monitor to the pi, and watch the text go by - but what @kanga_who says is probably the better option.

The docs should perhaps be amended to make it clear that you can do this during those 20 minutes.

EDIT: actually the picture in the instructions implies that it can be done during the 20 mins, as the pic says “this can take up to 20 minutes”

Thank you, for whatever reason, the Raspberry Pi IP address is not appearing along with the rest of the directly wired devices when I look at my router. That certainly complicates things… I may reset the router to see if it then detects the Rasp. Pi.

Do you have access to the console on the Pi, either via a Monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged into the Pi, or via SSH? If so, type this into the console to get the IP.

ifconfig

Then look for the the entry labelled eth0, like this.
inet is the IP of the Pi.

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.47  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.0.255
        inet6 feXX::c6ab:XXXX:b538:60XX  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether XX:XX:eb:25:ec:c0  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 141291  bytes 8209649 (7.8 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 263  bytes 46447 (45.3 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0