First time install problem

I am running a rasPI 4 64bit and just finished booting for the first time with the SD flashed with hassos_rpi4-64-3.11.img.gz image. I believe the install will not complete but don’t know for sure as I get a prompt saying “Welcome to Home Assistant” homeassistant login: I never set up a user id and password on the Home Assistant website but these credentials do not work. After a 60 second timeout, I get the prompt once again “Welcome to Home Assistant” followed by “homeassistant login: [ 1614.580222] IPV6: ADDRCONF(NET_UP): wlan0: link is not ready” Can someone please help this first time user?

Type root for username with no password.

But really, instead of this step, you want to access web interface for first time setup.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I did as you suggested and went to the web page [homeassistant:8123] and it looks like the installation does not fully complete, more specifically, the Home Assistant web page shows Preparing Home Assistant with a blinking blue dot but it never completes or get past this stage. I have gone through the installation procedure more that once and even have a hard wired ethernet connection to the Raspberry PI Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Some installs can take as long as 20 mins to complete.

I would wait out - grab a bite to eat, take a nap, then try again and start fresh.:slightly_smiling_face:

I thought the same thing and waited over an hour and 30 minutes but to no avail.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the install. I downloaded again the correct PI 4 Hassio image (hassos_rpi4-64-3.11.img) and re-flashed the MicroSD card once again just in case but it made no difference.

I restarted the Pi once again with a hardwire ethernet connection just to avoid any potential WLAN issues and the problem persists.

I wish I new how to interpret the boot up sequence to look for errors.

It has to be something obvious.

Have you got anywhere with this? I have the same problem but trying to install on a Dell laptop with Ubuntu server and Docker.

Yes I replaced the PI4 with a mini pc running ubuntu server and docker.

Just been through the same challenges after trying to set up on an older raspberry pi for the first time. The script compiled eventually and the screen connected to the pi just asked for - user: & login: info which as a first time user I didn’t have. The answer,at least for me, was to leave the pi plugged into an ethernet connection on my home network (pi2 so no wifi) and go to another device with a browser on the same network and enter http://homeassistant:8123 a signup screen appears and you can get registered as a new user and set up things that way. Hope this helps someone !

2 Likes

That is what helped me. Use http://homeassistant:8123/ instead of localhost or IP address, and it will fly. Thanks again rede5

1 Like

I am traing to installed home assistant on raspberry Pi 4 as per given procedure on web page but some how end up with commnd line, no idea what to do …please advice …

Same problem, I don’t have the web page…

Go to another computer, and type in a browser http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8123, where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP of your homeassistant

I resolve my issue with microSD A2,
the first microSD was A1 type and some command lines failed during the first installation.

But now I have the web page but it’s unstable and very slow, I will try when I will recover my wifi connection on my computer… (2 issues in one… bad day lol)