First time trying a template

Trying to start playing with templates and I have, what I assume, is a stupid question :grinning:

If I use this:

"{{ (( now() - trigger.from_state.last_changed).seconds) > 3 }}"

as a CONDITION, do I have to define the ā€œtriggerā€ or does HA use the same trigger from the automation itā€™s in automatically?

I was afraid that would be the case.
Why isnā€™t this working then?

alias: Test2
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: switch.phone_switch
    to: "off"
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: "\"{{ (( now() - trigger.from_state.last_changed).seconds) > 3 }}\""
action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: switch.virtual_switch_tester
mode: single

Iā€™m trying to turn on the switch.virtual_switch_tester when the switch.phone_switch has been off for 3 seconds.

I tried the change and now it seems to be ignoring the condition all together. Once the switch turns off, the virtual switch turns on.

trigger:
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: "{{ (now() - trigger.from_state.last_changed).seconds > 13 }}"
action:
    target:

I changed the time to 13 seconds

Just to clarify, your change didnā€™t make it skip the condition, I noticed the "\ at the beginning and end, deleted them with the original script and the virtual switch comes on when the phone switch goes off.

Ok, I see now that Iā€™m getting this backwards.
So the state.last_changed doesnā€™t include the triggered action Iā€™m guessing.
Right now, if the phone switch is on for at least 13 seconds, then I turn it off, the virtual switch goes on. I tried this with different times and it worked when it should and didnā€™t when it shouldnā€™t.
So what would I do to get what I wanted? Which is when the phone switch gets turned off, 13 seconds later the virtual switch turns on?

Can you clarify your goal? There are at least 2 ways your statement above can be interpreted.

Option 1: The switch should turn off any time the phone switch turns off, just 13 second later:

trigger:
condition: []
action:
  - delay: 13
    target:

Option 2: The phone switch need to remain off for 13 seconds then the switch is told to turn off:

trigger:
    for: "00:00:13"
condition: []
action:
    target:

Something elseā€¦?

I didnā€™t mean to say your change did nothing if thatā€™s the way you took it. Just giving facts.

I never mentioned an error message so not sure what you mean. Irrelevant either way.

My goal is to learn templates so your examples arenā€™t useful at the moment and Iā€™ve already done it that way. Iā€™m just learning HA and trying different things on a ā€œtest (or lab) setupā€.

Ok, so it doesnā€™t include the triggered action, good to know. Is there a way to make it, it being trigger.from_state.last_changed, include the state change in the trigger of the same automation?
Is there another Template that can be used to do what Iā€™m trying?

The reason this fails is an error in logic. The trigger to off occurs immediately after the phone switch changes to off. Because of that, you condition logic will never pass, e.g. it will never have a last changed 13 seconds ago as itā€™s evaluated immediately after turning off. You would need either:

A wait for condition,

Or change the trigger to template and include checking the state is off in what you now have in value_condition. I think this method is what you are inferring when you say ā€œa new way to do thingsā€. A template that confirms the entity state is off, and that the last changed was > 13 seconds ago.

Thatā€™s incorrect. The template is using the values from the previous state changeā€¦ which could have been days ago. However, I truly doubt that the behavior that will be elicited by that condition is actually what OP wants.

1 Like

?

The trigger variable is an object created at the moment your automation is triggered. It contains information about the entity (switch.phone_switch) responsible for triggering your automationā€™s State Trigger, specifically information about the entityā€™s state before (from_state) and after (to_state) it changed.

References

Available trigger data
State Object

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. I guess the logic error is mine! :slight_smile: