FitbitOS HA app

Is there someone who can create a Fitbit app to simply control ligts/switches? Would be great! There was someone who created a pebble app already, maybe it can ported to Fitbit because it’s almost the same framework.

I’m working on a Home Assistant app for Fitbit OS.

First step is getting sensor readings/device states in a list, this is now done. It retrieves all your groups and shows the states of devices in those groups (except hidden ones). It works quite well now, it uses caching and updates to the latest values (mostly) within a few seconds from launching the app. It relies on your groups and friendly names, etc. being set up properly.

The next step will be implementing controlling lights, switches and scenes/automations. This may take some time still. I should say the Fitbit SDK is quite buggy and not very solid yet, this makes it hard to work with, as a result the app is too and I’m not quite ready to release it yet. Will update when I’m further along.

Ok! Nice to see this progress. When there’s something new keep an update posted here :slight_smile: Even when there’s some assist welcome from a non-developer…

I haven’t been able to find the time to work on this yet, so I’ve put the project up on GitHub where anyone can try it out or contribute back. Github repo

Hey! I’ve fixed the undefined unit TODO and made a new branch for you on github.
I was thinking that maybe it would be better to only see a smaller set of sensors/devices, I do have a significant that I’m not interested in and only a couple I really care about. Maybe there could be a way of marking that in the yaml. What do you think?
B

Great suggestion, would be nice if we could add custom YAML properties (can we?) indeed. Thanks for the fixes. I’ve merged them into master. Let’s put feature requests in GitHub as well for discoverability.

HI!

I had some time and figured out what I believe would be the best solution:

• we should create a component for Home Assistant that would be used to expose the subset of entities to the app running on the fitbit + smart phone (the cloud component works in a similar fashion)
  • us the phone to query the list of entities and their states (only the ones exposed by the component)
  • in my opinion the best would be to have pages per entity domain (lights in one, switches in the other, climate in the third) and have an option that basically doesn’t do this separation, just pushes everything on one page
  • the app should handle the service calling as well so that you could toggle a switch or set the mode of the HVAC

What do you think?

Now I’m reading the development docs about custom components and I’m also trying to learn JavaScript and Python the an acceptable level needed for such a development (I have a C, Java and C# history but I’m not programing anymore at work).

B

1 Like

Late reply, I should enable email notifications.

I agree that would be nice, but I have no clue on how to build such a component for Home Assistant. Integrating this into the Fitbit App should be trivial however.

When I find the time I’ll hardcode switches and lights as pages and add toggles for those as well. If someone comes up with a component for Home Assistant I’d gladly integrate support for that in the app as well as that would indeed be better.

Right now, I’m trying to learn how I could make the Home Assistant component responsible for the filtering.
Stay tuned :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I’m not able to help with the development but I’m definitely willing to help test with my Fitbit