[Fixed] Hue Bulbs : Firmware "Image padding contains invalid bytes"

My Phillips Hue (white and color ambiance E27) are currently running firmware version: 1.93.11

Home Assistant / Z2M say there is a newer version but attempting to install it gives the error:
Update of <HUE_BULB> failed (Image padding contains invalid bytes)

Is the firmware just bad, or am I going to have to do something else to wipe / update the firmware?

i have the same. only the color bulb is updating. all other spots, white bulbs ledstrips not

1 Like

Same here for:
v1.93.11 - Hue white E27 929001821618
v1.93.11 - Hue white E14 9290020399

Was working updating to:
1.101.2 - Lamp 4034031p7
1.101.2 - Lamb 3261331p7

It seams Philips released 3 versions: Lamps | Philips Hue US
Maybe the one for the white bulbs is 1.101.5 or 1.101.7 and failing/corrupt image??

1 Like

Same issue here.

1 Like

My white light bulbs are doing the samething.

1 Like

Same error here - will be following.

1 Like

Same here.

Colored Floodlight and RGBW Bulb (new, bright version) are not working. Old bulbs and other lights from Philips are working.

Actually, those on 1.93.11 fail to update.

1 Like

Hi, I have the same issue. All lights with 1.93.11 fail to updateā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Issue logged and tracked here: Image padding contains invalid bytes Ā· Issue #218 Ā· Koenkk/zigbee-OTA Ā· GitHub

3 Likes

Turns out this was indeed a bug and the creator of Z2M has temporarily reverted it while they look into the issue.

Thanks for all the information people :slight_smile:

1 Like

Idem for Hue Go

1 Like

For anyone seeing these messages again, a patch has been made to Z2M that supposedly fixes this (I am unable to verify atm).

You can get it by updating the latest dev version or waiting for the 1 January 2023 patch.

6 Likes

Glad its not just me :slight_smile: Look forward to patch, and a happy new your to you all.

1 Like

Just patched mine it appears to be working again where it didnā€™t 10 mins ago :+1:

1 Like

Same.
Mine now updates after the 1 Jan 2023 Z2M patch too :slight_smile:

Should this have been automatic? is there a way to force update Z2M? I still have not been able to OTA my hue bulbs

Click into ā€œSettingsā€ of your home assistant dashboardā€¦ you should be able to update Z2M thereā€¦ and the bulbs from there too, if they show as needing updated:

http://homeassistant:8123/config/dashboard

If anything needs an updateā€¦ you should see them listed at the top of the settings page.

Thanks, Z2M is up to date and the bulbs kept popping up for updates, I skipped the updates and will give it a few days to see if they pop up again, they just hung for hours when I tried to update them

Mine refused to update from the OTA button inside of Z2M.

The update button (at the top) in the ā€œSettingsā€ page worked, one bulb at a time. They will take a LONG time to updateā€¦ I think it was around 40 minutes for each one.

I believe the latest version of Z2M (1.2.9) should resolve the issue. I run this in Docker so needed to re-pull the image and re-create the container.

See - Releases Ā· Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt Ā· GitHub

#5219 Fix OTA updates with new Hue OTA images (@pedrolamas)