Flame Boss MQTT and requesting some advice for integration:

hello all,

I am working on connecting my MQTT Flame Boss to Home Assistant. Flame Boss offers a cloud API to their MQTT servers. With this API I have been able to acquire my MQTT userID and the authentication token. Using MQTTExplorer I am seeing the JSON information from my Flame Boss.

I have created a mosquitto.conf file in my /share/mosquitto directory with the connectivity requirements and the local HA broker connects to the Flame Boss cloud MQTT service. I used MQTT Explorer to ensure the bridge has been created successfully and I do see the connection state but not sure how to see the subscribed results.

mosquitto.conf file:
connection myflameboss.com
address s7.myflameboss.com:1883
topic flameboss/(devideID/send/open
topic flameboss/deviceID/send/data
bridge_attempt_unsubscribe true
bridge_protocol_version mqttv31
cleansession true
remote_username T-userID
remote_password Authentication_Token
queue_qos0_messages 1

The topic /flameboss/(device_id)/send/open will provide JSON similar to this:

{“name”:“temps”,“cook_id”:1946515,“sec”:1620480662,“temps”:[1083,288,-32767,-32767],“set_temp”:1073,“blower”:0}

The temps are in units of decidegrees Celsius (DDC). So the breakdown of the JSON is as follows:
Pit Temperature - “temps” [0]: 1083
Meat Probe Temperature - “temps”[1]: 288

Using an algorithm of degF = (9/50) * degDDC +32 gives me the Fahrenheit of what is going on.

I have attempted to create a sensor with the following just to see if I can get any info into it but have not had any success:

• platform: mqtt
    state_topic: “flameboss/(deviceID)/send/open”
    name: “Flame Boss”
    unit_of_measurement: “F”
    value_template: “{{value_json.temps }}”

Can someone help me with this? I am over my head in understanding what I am missing to get the data into the sensor in HA.

1 Like

I don’t have anything to add currently other than I am interested in how this develops.

I think this is a great start.

Write up of how to install here:

You are amazing! I’ve been researching a new thermometer and blower for my Kamado. This convinced me to go with the Flame Boss 400. Thank you so much for your testing, documentation, and follow up.

I love my flame boss. Set it and forget it!

Hi there,

Amazing description. was easy to follow.
my entitles created under HA. For some reason, the value was unknown so I started to check the Mosquito broker logs under HA.
I could see the following there

1631433983: Connecting bridge myflameboss.com (s9.myflameboss.com:1883)
1631433983: Connection Refused: broker unavailable
1631433983: Socket error on client local.core-mosquitto.myflameboss.com, disconnecting

Any idea what could went wrong?
Would appreciate any help.

Make sure your userid and token are from the CURL request. Do not use your email addy in the mosquito.conf file. Should be using a T- in front of the userid you get back from CURL. So it should look like T-89643 or something similar.