Flash your Tuya/SmartLife Switches Over the Air - No soldering!

Shared this on reddit yesterday and but I forgot to post it here for the folks who don’t see threads over there.

Even though there is a great Tuya/SmartLife component in Home Assistant, I’m always about local control of my devices I bought and paid for then adding new features on top of that is awesome. Flash those devices with ease and no soldering which is a big game changer especially on the devices that you can’t open without destroying things.

10 Likes

No opening/soldering required! Very nice!

Does anyone know of (North American-style, Tuya-based) switches that have certification from UL or ETL (or CSA)?

Most Tuya-based switches I’ve seen advertised on Amazon have either no certification or CE certification (which is almost meaningless when it comes to North American electrical codes).

1 Like

I saw others saying Greeni and Merkury plugs had ETL listings and were sold in Home Depot and/or Walmart stores.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I successfully flashed Tasmota on a Hama Socket that came bundled with a Google Home Mini. Controlling via MQTT and the Tasmota UI works fine. However, the button on the device itself does not toggle on and off. I suppose I have to correctly set the GPIO to make this work again. Is there a default way to find out which port does what and how that should be set in the GPIO configuration?

The best way would be to rip one apart and follow the tracks on the PCB back to the ESP chip. Other than that - trial and error?

That’s what I wanted to avoid by using this flashing method. :smiley:
I’ve opened an issue at the repo to let the devs know, that in general the device is working. Maybe they can guide me. I found another Device-Module where the button did work, but other stuff broke. So maybe someone with deeper understanding knows what to make out of that information.

Has anyone seen any word on bulbs?

Trial and error is the way if there isn’t a prebuilt template for your device.

Seen a few folks doing bulbs already.

That’s what I have done now and was successful by doing so. I had a look at the GPIO-Mapping of another template where the button did work (inverted and with more channels than the device has) and figured out the correct GPIO. :slight_smile:

So everything is working now. Thanks for your support.

Glad you got it! I just did a live stream for everyone that has been asking how to figure out the in’s and out’s of the various plugs. Here’s the link in case you want to reference it:

3 Likes

This video was exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Would be great if this worked with the branded heaters as well, hopefully in the near future :+1:t3:

And the door/window sensors :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is likely a silly question…but…

Does flashing a Tuya devices like this remove the ability for it to be controlled by Google Home?

I assume you would need to use MQTT and IFTTT to achieve Google Home integration…

The device would be in MQTT in Home Assistant. You then use the Google Home integration of Home Assistant since it does the talking to your local devices now that you’ve pulled them out of the cloud.

1 Like

Thank you! Weekend project coming up! :smiley:

1 Like

I have Arilux RGBW light, which is currently woking as tuya component,
can i flash sonoff with this process?
have anybody flash it for light?
Please guide

I was able to install tasmota on my Atulya RGBW, but after some changes I made in configuring my device, I lost connection and now I am unable to see it connecting to my router nor I can connect it.
It disabled,
Any help to get working is appreciated,
Please help

Did you set wificonfig 2?