Flashed Sonoff S31 Tasmota Home Assistant on Synology NAS not discovered

Hello all, I’m having trouble getting my plug setup on Home assistant. I’m very new to all of this. Followed a few tutorials but I’m having no luck.

I have the flashed S31 connected to my wifi. (could it all be possible that one of the issues is my split network. Comcast automatically has 2.4ghz and 5ghz running at the same time. Nas is connected directly to the motem/router so I figure that’s not an issue however.

I think I have both Home assistant and the Eclpise-Mosquitto setup correctly.

I had an error saying Mosquitto couldn’t connect but added “allow_anonymous true
port 8883” to the mosquitto config and it no longer says it can’t connect.

I have an error with my Home assistant that says :

homeassistant. exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Cannot subscribe to topic
stderr
‘tasmota/discovery/#’,
MQTT is not enabled [om
c subscribe

Any ideas?

Starting with the release of Mosquitto version 2.0.0 (you are running v2.0.18) the default config will only bind to localhost as a move to a more secure default posture.

If you want to be able to access the broker from other machines you will need to explicitly edit the config files to either add a new listener that binds to the external IP address (or 0.0.0.0) or add a bind entry for the default listener.

By default it will also only allow anonymous connections (without username/password) from localhost, to allow anonymous from remote add:

allow_anonymous true
listener 1883

More details can be found in the 2.0 release notes here

Thank you! That got everything started. MQTT installed now and also Tasmota service also installed but it’s still not seeing the device. The device says it’s trying to connect but is failing. You’ve gotten me so much closer.