Flashing a LilyGo T-ETH-POE

Has anyone successfully flashed one of the lilygo ethernet POE boards? Using their programmer board, and have tried various ESP flashing tools on several different machines.

I’ve successfully flashed other boards and the data light is flashing on the programmer board so I don’t think it’s a com port issue.
It feels like the board isn’t going into flash boot mode, despite me trying every combination of the boot and reset buttons.

Sure, with the programmer connected and through Arduino IDE, ESP32 dev board and hit upload … make sure to keep a bit of tension on the pins to program.

I’ll try the Arduino IDE later today. I ended up soldering the programmer in because I initially thought it wasn’t making good contact with just a bit of tension.

Sorry - maybe me being stupid, but can’t see how to upload an ESPHome .bin file using the arduino IDE? I’d usually use ESPHomeFlasher and a bin file downloaded from ESPHome.

Numpty of the week award goes to me. Had the programmer board fitted on the wrong side of the pcb… Works a treat on the correct side, no button presses needed.

@jonathanpearce , do you remember what is the correct side? Did you use the usb-c or the micro usb?

@bremby - Programmer fits from underside (opposite side to ethernet jack), facing with USB connectors away from the pcb. I used the micro-usb.

@jonathanpearce like this?

Do you really NEED their Downloader board?

Any reason this would not work as well?

BTW - I HAVE used that board to flash an ESP32 - but not on this LilyGo T-ETH-POE board.

1 Like

Did you ever figure that out? Having yet another proprietary flasher is a big turn off. I just want a zigbee board with gpio dammit.

yes… to flash it you just plug in the flasher board into the BACK of the main board… DOES any one know how to use ESPhome to flash this thing?? It is not listed or anything… Bin file… I cannot find anything?

It’s probably too late now, but if anyone still looking for an answer to this question: Yes, it’s possible to flash it without the proprietary flasher.

Here is a picture of the pins you need to use:

the only annoyance is, that it’s not the “normal” spacing of the pins - the holes are closer together… I just put the pins in and held them in place with a rubber band for the one time I need to acutally use them xD

and just like everywhere else, ground IO0 to enable flash mode

Hope this information helps someone

1 Like

Have a look here: ESPHome example for the bluetooth proxy (bluetooth-proxies/lilygo-t-eth-poe.yaml at 9e3576217fc4f3ece1d7a562d2fe97eb4341dd5f · esphome/bluetooth-proxies · GitHub).

Its newer too late, just got the board and you saved me hours of research…

Thank you