Flashing SonOFF Basic R1 with ESPHome: No WIFI Connection Despite Successful Flash

Well, I have two Basic R1’s that I put together last year that are working and connect to my WIFI network no problem (Ubiquiti AP’s). They were flashed with Tasmota and cannot be managed through ESPHome.

Since I moved to ESPHome, I thought I’d get the other switches up and running. I can flash them, but then the LED just blinks. No connection to the AP.

I have no idea what to do at this point. There’s a post floating around that talks about this issue, but it’s cryptic and the instructions involved are confusing and may or may not apply.

Anyone know what’s up with these?

What does the esphome logs say?

+1 check logs to know what happens exactly or it’s impossible to debug !

Which log? The ESPHome log during upload or HA logger log or … ???

Seems there won’t be a log of anything if the device isn’t connecting to the access point.

Is your SSID hidden? Then you have to add hidden: true in the networks: part. I have 4 Sonoff R1 working fine with esphome 1.13.6

I have two of them working fine, but they were flashed with tasmota through Arduino IDE rather than through ESPHome. I was hoping to move to ESPHome for these.

Sometimes it helps to erase the flash first. On Linux the command is:

esptool.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 erase_flash (with GPIO0 -> GND)

on rare occasions you need to write the blank_1M image (part of the Espressif SDK). I use for Sonoff’s

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --baud 115200 write_flash -ff 40m -fm dio -fs 8m 0x00000 blank_1MB.bin 0x100000 blank_1MB.bin

Would you recommend compiling with ESPHome then downloading the BIN and flashing with a different tool, or is it the same to flash directly through ESPHome add-on in HASS.io?

I didn’t even think to erase the chip to begin with to start clean. I’ll give that a shot first.

I use esphome directly.

You can observe the logs if it is still connected via serial. Make sure the serial device is still selected in the top right of the gui.

@arretx I don’t think downloading the .BIN and flashing with another tool will make any difference. Try erasing it first.

Most likely https://github.com/esphome/issues/issues/455

You can try random stuff like changing log level or renaming node.