FLIC 2 HASSIO ADDON. New Buttons not showing

Thanks for replying. So strange that I can have them work on a Pizero.
Btw, could you advise if we can install flicd on docker. I mean the latest version.

1 Like

Would also like to be able to install in docker container. If you can provide a compose file, I could submit it as a pull request to IOTstack. Would be awesome.

I was able to install the docker image balena-flic. It worked straight away on linux server 18. But only discovered flic 1 not flic 2. Perhaps the image is out of date.

I kept having issues using pschmittā€™s addon, had to restart homeassistant regularly because the buttons stopped communicating with homeassistant. Could be related to my running HassOS in a VM which uses the bluetooth hardware from the VM host computer.
Anyway, iā€™ve installed Flicā€™s own software on a Raspberry Pi and Iā€™ve set the binary sensor in Home Assistant config.yaml to connect to the Piā€™s IP address. Havenā€™t had any issues since.

@bobvmierlo an you elaborate on this? Does Flic have itā€™s own software for Linux / Home Assistant? Where could we find that? Could you also share how you set that up in HA? Thanks!

Edit: just now do I see the the 50buttonseach repo is the official one. Will try to set that up.

hey all
soā€¦
is there a way to make flic2 work with HA?
can it be done with just the buttons (no hub)?
do i need to add a BLUETOOTH dongle to HA for it to work?
and bottom line - how should it be done?

Any updates to this thread? I added the flicd service from pschmittā€™s repository and added the flic binary sensor to my config. The add-on is up and running but it does not detect any of my buttons (flic2).

I also have a flic hub, is there any way I can point HA to that hub?

The documentation for these buttons is really horrible. Tells you how to install the repository and add to configuration, but what then? No one in any posts Iā€™ve read seems to be able to pair buttons through hassio on RPi. Where do you see the buttons? How do you know if theyā€™ve been connected. They work great through Amazon Alexa, but I want to control HA scenes etc. with them. Is there anyone out there who has had success with this and can give detailed instructions as to how others can get them to work?

The python lib for flic used in HA is a few years old. I got the author to update it. Updated sources from fliclib Ā· Issue #2 Ā· soldag/pyflic (github.com)

Now we need to get the HA component updated to use the new version. I have not done PR on HA core yet, only the docs. But I will give it a try later today/this week. I hope that will bring flic v2 support for you all.

Iā€™m personally struggling with the client not automatically reconnecting to the flic server. I have the flic server running on separate device. When I reboot that, I need to restart HA also to connect to the flic server again.

Flic - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)
Once connected/discovered, the docs show how to use the buttons.

Feel free to improve the docs. I have already add some info years ago.

After the updates which have been done, flic buttons are working smoothly now. Just make sure you have latest verison of hassio and latest veraion of flicd addon.

If you are looking to just use the HA to work as the flic hub then you would need a usb dongle if the system doesnt already have it installed. The way I have mine setup is in 2 ways where natively the flic button talks with smartthings through the flic hub > smartthings > home assistant as a virtual switch. After I purchased a dongle setup the flic integration and added this to my configuration.yaml

binary_sensor:
  - platform: flic
    discovery: true

just a shameless plug for my new version of the flic2hass mqtt integration GitHub - asosnovsky/flic2hass: A Flic SDK utility to publish all Flic buttons to Home Assistant via MQTT