Flo Smart Water Leak Detector

@Keith_Baker you shouldn’t have to specify location_id as the Flo integration automatically discovers all your locations and creates sensors from them (assuming you are not bypassing the flo: domain configuration and trying to manually configure sensors). The only time you might specify location ids is to restrict which Flo devices are tracked in Home Assistant IF you have multiple locations (houses).

All you need in your configuration.yaml is the following and it will auto-discover everything:

flo:
  username: [email protected]
  password: your_flo_password

That said, I am working on a massively updated version of the Flo integration which should improve a variety of things including bug fixes, adding new daily/yearly consumption sensors, more frequent updates of sensors, added logs for debugging, assigned unique ids to every sensor/device to allow customization within Home Assistant UI, etc.

For those interested in beta testing the next major version (3.0), it is currently in the master branch. THIS NEXT VERSION IS A BREAKING CHANGE! Also note that the master branch is considered unstable and may temporarily break unexpectedly.

Summary of changes:

• change flo: username key to email to match Flo service and other components (BREAKING)

• renamed sensors and switches, plus each assigned unique_ids based on the physical device identifiers to allow customization of all entities via the HASS UI (BREAKING)

• faster update frequency for all sensor/switch states

• new daily consumption meter (yearly consumption meter will be added later) replaces the previously fragile consumption meter

• added service for manually running health test

• added service for setting Flo monitoring mode (home, away, sleep)

• single coordinator for updating all sensors from Flo webservice calls, reduces the amount of overhead and potential to the DDoS Flo service

• updated to use the Home Assistant config flow UI instead of needing to edit configuration files to enable Flo (this has not been completed yet, so manual configuration is still required)

• removed Flo from most entity friendly names

• improved logging for troubleshooting

• multiple location (house) support with automatic device discovery and ability to filter out locations

AGAIN, installing anything from the master branch is BETA, thus not guaranteed to work always.

Known Issues:

• valve turn on/off state doesn’t get updated in Home Assistant when switched

• config_flow not working

2 Likes

Hi. I’m getting this same issue with both this integration and the new native one within HA. It seems that the Flo API is only updating the telemetry data when I’m logged in to user.meetflow.com or have the android app open. Once I close out of those, it continues to return the last value from when I was logged in until I open one of them again. Fairly certain this is entirely on their end, but I’m curious is anyone has run into this before? I’m not convinced its related, but my device is still in the learning mode from when it was installed earlier this week.

I am on the same boat. Has anyone found a solution?

Looks like Flo v2 API may require a heartbeat keep-alive API call periodically for the server side to keep refreshing.

POST https://api-gw.meetflo.com/api/v2/presence/me

Headers:
authorization: XXXXX

The web interface posts a heartbeat every 30 seconds.

Note: Since there is a Flo integration built into Home Assistant now, the custom integration is now not being maintained.

hi @ryans I just recently got my flo valve installed and the integration in HA works for a few hours after which it becomes unavailable and I have the following errors in my logs. It is always between midnight and 10 am. Im in Australia unde time zone AEST. Can you please help?

Logger: homeassistant.components.flo
Source: components/flo/config_flow.py:27
Integration: Flo (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 6:02:38 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 6:02:38 AM

Error connecting to the Flo API: There was an error while requesting https://api.meetflo.com/api/v1/users/auth: 400, message=‘Bad Request’, url=URL(‘https://api.meetflo.com/api/v1/users/auth’)

Logger: homeassistant.components.flo
Source: helpers/update_coordinator.py:219
Integration: Flo (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 3:01:39 AM (6 occurrences)
Last logged: 6:02:55 AM

Error fetching flo-xxxxxxxxxxxx data: There was an error while requesting https://api-gw.meetflo.com/api/v2/water/consumption: 400, message=‘Bad Request’, url=URL(‘https://api-gw.meetflo.com/api/v2/water/consumption?endDate=2021-09-21T23:59:59.999000&interval=1h&locationId=xxxxxx&startDate=2021-09-21T00:00:00’)

I’ve just purchased a Moen Flo for use in the UK.
When I bought online I didn’t realise it was being shipped from the US and I’m not even sure if the product is officially available in the UK,.

I tried to install the app on my iPhone and it doesn’t seem to exist?
I created an iCloud account with a US address and I still can’t find the app?

So:

A) Can I setup the valve without the app? Is there a web interface or some other way?
B) is the app available? Anywhere? In the UK?
C) Should I get an android device and set it up with that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

hey @BruceH5200
im about to purchase one and live in the UK too, so keen to hear how you get on.
where did you purchase from too, if you dont mind me asking?

I bought it from onbuy.com
i hadn’t realised at the time, but it shipped to me from the USA.

I got there in the end, but a lot of obstacles.
Couldn’t find the app in UK IOS app store.
Created a US appstore account, couldn’t find it there either, even using a VPN to get a US IP.

Got an android tablet, couldn’t get it in UK Google Play Store.

Used an online .apk downloader to download the app and install it manually.
First time it was an old version of the app that didn’t work.
Second time lucky.

Was able to setup an account (even with a UK address) and paired the device.
Haven’t physically installed it on the pipe yet, so can’t say much about it’s operation, but I’ve got it on the wifi and linked into Home Assistant.

awesome!
sorry to be a pain and ask, but would you mind keeping a note of the links/things you did, so i can follow in your footsteps please? really appreciate it!!

when do you think you will have it working?
im looking to purchase in the coming month but will wait until you have it all sorted out i think.

After a lot of messing about, the actual solution is…

I downloaded the apk file from apkpure

Flo by Moen™ Smart Home Water Monitoring_v4.12.0.27_apkpure.com.apk

I then installed that on an android device.

Then followed the standard install procedure.

Mine will be installed as soon as I can get a plumber to come round, will probably be a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Hey
Did you get this all installed ok?

Hi, can somebody help me to find the API documentation?