Flume Water Meter

That’s awesome, thanks for pointing that out. I’ll see if we can combine our efforts.

That would be great! I just manually added that integration and so far its working. From what I can tell, its only pulling real-time water usage. If you can combine efforts, that would be pretty sweet!

@michaeldavie @SPCulhane, thanks for directing me to this thread… Reviewing Github Project and it looks awesome! I believe we can tackle the list provided pretty easily.

In terms of items and Priority, additions to include based on seeing your repo and the comments provided:

1. Update PyPi package to support OAuth2 correctly.
  2. Support for additional units of measurement (Gallons / Liters)
  3. Update PyPi package to support additional data queries to match Flume app
  4. Update sensor to support # 3.

Thoughts?

Great! I think your breakdown makes sense, and I would split the tasks between the client library and the sensor integration:

Client Library

• I agree that fixing OAuth2 support is the highest priority, and it’s where I’ve been stuck. The particular issue is around expired tokens, i.e. older than a week, and how to refresh / renew them.
  • Throttling is also a bit tricky, as we want to refresh the data frequently while also staying within the API limits.
  • Adding support for multiple queries should be straightforward.

Sensor Integration

• Supporting multiple sensors to (at least) mirror the app should be straightforward.
  • Supporting litres or gallons should also be straightforward.

I think we should go with your code as a base, and adopt the features from mine that make sense into it, especially since there’s already a PR for it.

Worked on this a little this week. The Client Library can be found on GitHub PyFlume or PyPi

Have there been any further updates to either project or a decision on which one of the two implementations you guys will be joining forces on and carrying forward? I’d like to install this for my Flume but am not sure which one to go with?

Thanks,

-Joni-

The way I understand it, PyFlume is a client library, while the other is a Home Assistant custom component.

If you are installing on Home Assistant, you would you use the custom component.

Looks to me as though it’s been merged into the HA-next git branch…which means the official integration should show up in .103 hopefully. I’d hold off for just a little bit.

1 Like

I noticed this the other when looking into this more. I think you’ve made the sharp call here. I’ll standby a bit longer and wait to see how this plays out.

Thanks,

-Joni-

@ChrisMandich’s code for the official component has been merged into the dev branch, so it should be generally available in version 0.103 in the next few days. At that point, everyone should be using it rather than my custom component, including me!

I’m happy to pitch in with fixes as more people are able to test it out.

1 Like

Its in .103. Are there any docs on configuring it in that version?

I hate to point out the obvious https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/flume/

I had it set up as a custom component but thought it might be different with the new integration. I’ll read the docs.

I use to have Flume sensor from this repository https://github.com/michaeldavie/flume-sensor
before it was added as official integration.
Once .103 released I removed custom component and switch to official one.
Now I missing all values like today, this_month, last_60_min, last_24_hrs, current_min.
There is just one strange value shown - am I missing something?

I guess the new integration is different and indeed I’ve lost the same values as you list @quest07.
I also noted that the documentation on HA is limited.

In my case I do get a single value from the flume sensor which I used with utility_meter. It kinds of give me a value for daily, weekly and monthly usage. Although I don’t have data for weekly and monthly consumption yet it does look like even the daily usage using utility_meter is off compared to the Flume app (and to the Flume portal) so something appears to be missing?. As of 7pm HA reported value through utility_meter reports ~ 32 gal of usage; the Flume App reports ~ 57 gal.

I am working with Home Assistant 0.104.1, loaded on my NUC. My problem is I get all the values but they stop updating after a few hours after a reboot! Am I doing something wrong? I am a newbie when it comes to programming so I don’t know if there is a way to poll the sensor at different intervals or what! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I’m in a similar boat as @rssorensen - I’ve configured the flume sensor like so:

- platform: flume
    username: !secret flume_user
    password: !secret flume_passwd
    client_id: !secret flume_client_id
    client_secret: !secret flume_secret

…and then added a utility_meter entry like so:

utility_meter:
water:
source: sensor.flume_sensor_1234567890
cycle: daily

I added this mid-day yesterday and it says it reset at midnight (my time) this morning but the daily value is reporting a little over 28 gallons and the flume app is reporting 57 gallons. I’ve looked for more detailed documentation on utility_meter but it’s pretty sparse. Anyone get this working accurately or have more experience/documentation related to utility_meter? At this point due to there not being many examples, I’m not even sure my config is correct.

Thanks,

-joni-

I don’t think the instantaneous usage number reported by the flume is precise enough to be used by the utility meter integration. I think the only way to get an accurate daily usage number is by requesting it from the flume itself, so the flume integration would have to be updated to also pull that value from the API.

Does anyone have this working with the integration that is built into HA? I don’t really see much available by following the instructions. I can tell if water is running or not but that’s it. I feel somewhat confused by all the people talking last 60/24/graphs etc. What do I need to do to get that? Example configs? card configs?

If that’s the case then the wrong flume integration was added to HA - there were two (see earlier in the thread) that were both manual addons and then one was selected for integration but it seems like the other one had more detailed data and that it was more accurate.

-joni-