Flux / circadian_lighting: how do I get it to not override lights set to color manually by a human?

I love flux and/or circadian lighting (btw, is there a current favorite way to accomplish this?). Most of the time, I want most of my lights to change color temperature with the sun.

However, I also frequently will override a light to a particular color to set a mood, using lovelace or “ok google, set kitchen lights to forest green”.

Is there a recommended general “core only” approach to treating a human set value as an “override” that won’t be overwritten by automations? I’m imagining somehow preserving mqtt state, and layering any human-set mqtt messages as a stateful layer on top of regular values, so that any direct human command takes precedence until its cancelled by the human.

I’m using Zigbee2MQTT and thus MQTT if that makes a difference.

Alternatively, is there a circadian_lighting-style HACs that already features a “dont_override” mode? I was thinking it could choose to only change lights if they are within a “this light is a white-ish light” color gamut. I suspect most people set striking non-light colors for most manual overrides that would be easy to detect and ignore. Then when the human sets them back to any some-color-temp-of white-ish shade, the integration could take control again.

-Seth

To give another example of the same “how do I give direct human commands precedence so I’m not a rude assistant with my own agenda” UX / configuration architecture question:

I have motion sensors in my bathrooms and hallways (again zigbee2mqtt). When you walk thru the hallway, I’d like to automatically fade the lights to 25%. I also have a zigbee switch in the hall that can send brightness / color messages. If a human wants the lights dimmer or brighter, or off or on, how do I most elegantly treat their values as an override?

-Seth

I think the adaptive lighting integration checks all your boxes.

I’m new to HA since January but I’ve always been obsessed with CT.

I tried a few different solutions and adaptive lighting appeared to work best for me. Its customizable to where you can tell it to acknowledge overrides and stop adapting. Theres also switches that you can automate that can control whether the various components of adaptive lighting are enabled (color, brightness, sleep, and the actual adaptive lighting).

I’m running 3 instances of adaptive lighting. 1 for all my house lights, lamps, recessed, etc. Another one for all my accent lights, and one other for a light that’s on its own thing.

This allows me to control/configure the adaptive lighting independently. I’m starting to consider adding another layer of separation just for the bedrooms because there’s some circumstances where I’d want the bedrooms to be different.

This past weekend I created a helper boolean that when I scream it at Alexa, she can turn on/off the adaptive lighting in general (like when housekeepers come). You can put it on a button too like you require.

I understand you want override control with AND without a button/voice command and adaptive lighting can do all that.