Force removal of z-wave node

More or less. It seems like HA gets its list of Z-Wave devices from the connected hub, but that there is a bit of caching somewhere, though I haven’t spent any time yet to figure out where.

Here’s what I do now to get rid of a device:

1. Perform a “Remove Failed Node” through HA itself.
  2. Completely power down HA and the Z-Wave hub itself. I’m running Hass.io on an RPi so I turn it off and on again.

I managed to get that working with a “dead node” on the first try, but previously I was removing the failed node and restarting HA itself. Apparently, just restarting HA is not enough. Everything needs to go cold first.

That said, the entity_id that I gave the device is “remembered” by HA so, even though it no longer shows the Z-Wave device, if I try to give any device that same name, it will complain that it’s still in use.

1 Like

Delete the old entries from core.entity_registry in the storage folder and you’ll be able to rename your device with the old name. Make sure you get all related entries and don’t mess up the json format or you’ll be screwed.

Do this at your own risk.

This worked perfectly! Thanks.

I was having issues removing a couple z-wave nodes. I tried removing them both at the same time and it wouldn’t work. However when I tried removing them one at a time, restarting home assistant after each one, it worked.

Thank you. This worked as described!!!

This method worked so it is still only working solution I found in 2020. Thanks.

I have a zwave node that corresponds to a device that is no longer functioning. This means that I cannot for it to be removed with the standard procedure (setting the network into Remove Node mode and physically interacting with the device itself).
I tried to simply remove it from the core.entity_registry and core.device_registry, but as soon as I restarted my HASSIO, the device and its entities were there again.

How can I permanently remove it so that it is completely forgotten the same way it would be if it was removed as I mentioned above?