Former Smartthings Users

We’ve seen this coming for a while. There’s seems to be less ire in the ST community thread than I expected. Time to welcome more converts!

I think the majority of the power users have left SmartThings by this point - hence the reduced level of outrage in the ST community thread.

I’m finally pulling the trigger on migrating over my Zigbee and Zwave devices over to HA instead of just relying on the integration. If I’m going to have to hunt around for custom Edge drivers, I might as well just move the devices over to HA and have a better overall experience.

3 Likes

Looks like Groovy is officially dead

Many are very upset, and as in past transitions, it doesn’t appear Smartthings has been great about providing details or making sure everything is working before shutting off the old system. It makes me appreciate being on Home Assistant even more. The next time I think about complaining about a minor breaking change in a new release, I’ll remember that things could be much worse.

If anyone from Smartthings comes across this post and is looking to switch to Home Assistant due to the recent shutdown, feel free to post here or create a new thread for some help on getting started.

7 Likes

Good timing - I got my SkyConnect a couple of weeks ago and just finished migrating all my Zigbee lights to HA. (My Z-wave mesh was done a few months ago when I first brought up HA.) I can say unreservedly that my automation is now miles ahead of what I was able to accomplish with ST.

So, welcome to all ST refugees! There is a terminology and mindset learning curve for HA, but once you get past it, you’ll have a more powerful and easier to manage automation environment. As other posts have said, don’t be afraid to ask questions - there is a good community here.

1 Like

@Technodad I used to like WebCore when on ST but when I moved to HA a couple years ago I discovered Node-Red and love it 100x :wink: If you aren’t already using it, check it out!

Love NodeRED! To be honest, though, while I used to use it a lot when running Homebridge + ST, I really haven’t written any flows since moving Home Assistant. I’ve been able to cover all my automation cases with the native automations, blueprints, and templates. It’s always good to know you have NR for the weird ones, though. I particularly like NRs built-in MQTT and RSS feed parsing to bring in information into my environment.

Anyone still using the 2018 Smartthings Samjin plug in outlets? I really like them and they work well however lately I keep seeing errors in the logs related to power monitoring on those plugs. I was also wondering what the latest firmware version was and if there was any way to update it without pulling out my dusty ST v3 hub.

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.entity
Source: components/zha/core/channels/base.py:460
First occurred: 15:12:00 (57 occurrences)
Last logged: 16:02:30

Update for sensor.master_bedroom_white_noise_power fails
Update for sensor.soldering_iron_power fails
Update for sensor.electronic_load_power fails
Update for sensor.playhouse_light_power fails
Update for sensor.garage_attic_outlet_power fails
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 541, in async_update_ha_state
    await self.async_device_update()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 739, in async_device_update
    raise exc
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/sensor.py", line 284, in async_update
    await super().async_update()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/entity.py", line 246, in async_update
    await asyncio.gather(*tasks)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/channels/homeautomation.py", line 100, in async_update
    result = await self.get_attributes(attrs, from_cache=False, only_cache=False)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/channels/base.py", line 460, in _get_attributes
    read, _ = await self.cluster.read_attributes(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/__init__.py", line 471, in read_attributes
    result = await self.read_attributes_raw(to_read, manufacturer=manufacturer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/__init__.py", line 324, in request
    return await self._endpoint.request(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py", line 237, in request
    return await self.device.request(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py", line 297, in request
    await self._application.request(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 690, in request
    await self.send_packet(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_znp/zigbee/application.py", line 1026, in send_packet
    response = await self._send_request_raw(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_znp/zigbee/application.py", line 913, in _send_request_raw
    self._znp.request_callback_rsp(
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'request_callback_rsp'

I am still using two of them, but the UK version ones. Purchased with the v2 kits. I do use them mostly as an on/off switch. Used to use one for monitoring a dehumidifier, but not this part of the year.
They work well, I just really miss the energy information.

I haven’t seen any issues with Z2M.

1 Like

Even if there was new firmware, I wouldn’t update it. It wouldn’t surprise me if a new firmware release locked the plugs to only work with the latest smarthings hub.

It’s happened before where manufacturers have released Firmware updates that remove functionality and lock you in their eco system, like what tplink did. Usually under the guise of a “security concern”, when it really is an excuse to get you to pay more for their products.

1 Like

@mwav3 I have a dozen or so of these so I could test it on one first to see if the update breaks anything. In reality my issue is more likely due to something other than the device’s firmware as this started some time ago long after I switched over to HA. When troubleshooting I always like to first ensure everything is up to date

Tim,

This is a Zigbee plug and not the later Wifi plug which was released with the v3 hub or the mesh system. So, screwing up Zigbee would be hard… but not impossible.

3 Likes

There are a few issues on GitHub regarding this error:

@GSzabados It appears I need to refine my searching skills :slight_smile: Unfortunately the issues don’t go into much detail but say it is related to the coordinator disconnecting and also asks about a hypervisor so that leads me to understand it might be an error related to me rebooting HA or Proxmox (HA running in VM) and the system taking a bit to come back up. I’ll do some testing… just weird that I never saw this before with the same frequency I see it now… Thanks!

I did a search for the last line of the error message straight in the GitHub search bar:

https://github.com/search?q=AttributeError%3A+'NoneType'+object+has+no+attribute+'request_callback_rsp'&type=issues

I know, that it is not too much descriptive regarding details, but that’s why I copied the link to that PR as well.

1 Like

Yes I agree, probably not as likely or worrisome about updating firmware causing issues in zigbee versus a wifi device, although zigbee does allow for manufacturer specific profiles and is a little “looser” about their standards then zwave - like how some tuya and Aqara devices don’t always work properly off their own hubs. So like you say, hard, but not impossible.

With the standard in place, it is hard to differentiate your products from others. Tuya and Aqara found the way how to implement those features in the narrow standard. But at least if it would be documented… unfortunately not.

Hello Ex STers, I have quite a few of the ST Samjin Zigbee 3.0 Outlets that run firmware 0x00000011. I get quite a few log entries related to their power reporting so I figured I’d try to see if ST released a firmware update for them… I dusted off my old ST hub and added one of the outlets to my ST app. I can’t find any page online that shows the firmware version or that allows you to trigger a manual check/update as it was once possible. All I saw made me even happier to have ditched the platform in favor of HA.

Can anyone confirm the latest revision for the Samjin Outlet? (US version with led on top, not side)

I have only the later one CentraLite sockets and in Z2M the firmware version is just a dozen question marks.

But, the IDE still works for me. You might want to give it a try. I really doubt that there would be any update to those…

I added a spare outlet back to ST and left it there for a while. In the app I saw the fw version and it matched the one shown in ZHA. I could no longer find any way to trigger an update (or even see fw info in the IDE) and even after hours of it being connected nothing updated so I am guessing that there is none…

I have a presence sensor added to ST and that shows a Firmware: Check Now link in the IDE, but of course no firmware information as you said.