Forum migration Nov 2023

It’s always great to see upgrades of software, whether it’s for new features, security reasons or other features.

I understand that at this point in time that the migration isn’t complete. As per the announcement some topics may remain unread and some images are still being migrated.

On mobile, I’m missing two things:

1. It takes several taps to get to my list of unread topics. This is 99% of the time my entry point. It used to be the hamburger menu (top right) followed by “unread”.
  2. I don’t see a code formatting option on the toolbar. This is critical for HA where many users already don’t format their configs or logs.

Is there some customisation options or UX I’m overlooking?

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing this up.
At least you can set the start page under https://community.home-assistant.io/u/YOUR_USERNAME/preferences/interface

1 Like

For #1, my current workaround is to have added a custom section to the new hamburger menu

Interestingly, it’ll actually highlight the menu item when you’re visiting one of those areas.

For #2, is ‘preformatted text’ hiding under the gear icon? I don’t do a lot of visiting (and have never posted) from mobile, so I’m not sure if this it what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Excellent, that’s definitely helpful.

I like this. I’ve added one for unread. This simulates what was available before.

Yes, that’s it! I don’t know why I didn’t check what’s under the gear icon.

Why is this new chat feature so prominent anyway? We have Discord already for real time comms and here on the forum is already a messaging interface. I think it’s this new icon that pushed the preformat icon into the overflow area.

I wonder if it can be changed site-wide by an admin.

I know it’s bold to ask this coming from one person, but I believe I’ve given my justification in the first post: @petro I hope you’ll forgive me for pulling you into the conversation. Is making the preformat option more prominent even an option?

No idea, I’m not an admin. I’ll forward the inquiry

1 Like