Foscam camera with lots of controls

to find out how to adapt to this change:

1. change input_slider as componenthead in configuration yaml to input_number
  2. chenck in the entities if the entities changed their names. (could be they stay like input_slider.foscam_zoom but could also be input_number.foscam_zoom)
  3. if they didnt change try if the app works, if they did change, change all slider names to number in the apps.yaml (or appdeamon.yaml)
  4. after all this is done check if the app runs without trouble. if not then they have changed the service and i have to figure out how to get the right code.

oke did some checking and it seems that after part 3 it wont work.

step 4) in the app find al lines that contain :

self.call_service("input_slider/select_value"

and change that to:

self.call_service("input_number/select_value"

Thanks let me try this

@ReneTode.
Just found this. Thank you for writing it. I am looking for a camera which I can grab pictures and videos from to send to cloud for processing. Your work seem to allow me to do this ?

Can you recommend a camera with thte highest resolution I can buy, which still be supported by your AppDaemon?
Basically, best quality image and yet compatible with your code.

Thank you very much for your hard work.

I use Foscam 19929 and record video with ffmpeg and use snap function of this app for pics to send it to my xmpp server :slight_smile:

1 Like

i use the 19828p V2 witch has HD 1280 but i am sure that thunder means the 19928p which has 1920 (full HD)
the app i wrote only allows taking snapshots.
but the foscam app for android/iphone or the firefox extention also allows starting recording on the fly.
within the cam you can set wherever you like to send the pics and video.

i send it to an FTP server on my raspberry.

1 Like

Another approach is to use motioneyeos to record me Take pics and send them after

Do you manually snap the pictures? I need to be able to snap the pictures based on HA triggers and some conditions from script or automation. Is programatic snap picture functionality supported?

yes it is.
i snap pictures by setting an input boolean to on.
i also have an app running that snaps a picture every hour and saves it to a dedicated directory for that.
i use that to create a video how my garden evolves over time.

but you can use any condition or trigger to set the boolean to on and the pic is taken.
in the app you can set the location where you would like the pic to be saved. (allthough i only support local save for that, it would be possible to rewrite that to save everywhere you like, but you could also chose to make an app that regularly copies files. i do that with the files from my FTP server to my PC)

i take pics at movement from foscam. this will be saved under snapshot.jpg and sent to my chat application. I changed the filename to constant name so that i easier can send this snapshot to my httpupload script. after it is sent it is saved on my httpserver

i released the V2 app.
i didnt want to try to integrate older cam types anymore (sorry for those who use them) because i cant test that and it did hold up the release.

you can find all about in in this topic:

1 Like

This has been an excellent read…I admittedly need to finish it. Hopefully I can get your attention for a brief minute and ask if this latest model would be compatible with the scripts used in this post?

FOSCAM Model: FI9900PR

i cant say for sure, but if you ask my guess i would say it would work. (off course without the PTZ functions)

my app uses the latest CGI when i am correct.
if you want to be sure you will have to find out which CGI commands this cam uses.

1 Like

Hi,

May I ask a question about my false when I was trying to execute the following command on my console first?

curl -k "https://MY_IP:443/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=getDevState&usr=MY_USER_NAME&pwd=MY_PWD"

Then, I got an error as below.

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to MY_IP:433

Could anyone can do a favor?

Note: I have installed “LetsEncrypt” as SSL protocol.

Thanks.

you cant have installed letsencrypt on your camera.

the command you try to use is a command that you send to your camera.
the IP should be the IP from the camera
and the port should be the port you configured in your camera.

Sorry, I probably not described clear, I mean I installed LetsEncrypt on my Raspberry Pi 3.
And yes, the IP and the port I used are from the camera.

I just tried this,

curl -k "http://MY_IP:88/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=getDevState&usr=MY_USER_NAME&pwd=MY_PWD"

then able to see the response, is it correct as well?

Thanks.

if you get a response with that url, then the app will work for you.

Hello,

This is a very interesting project. Thanks for sharing, and good game overall!

What is the benefit of using appdaemon over shell commands if not using a dashboard please?

no need to figure out the commands, all are already in the app
the benifit of having appdaemon itself.

but if you only use AD for this app and not for the dashboard or other apps, you could do the same with shell commands.

thank you for your answer!

I will dig a little while maturing my project.

Short term needs (not related to your app):

• camera: PTZ tracking, using Motion and ptz control
  • thermostat: PID heater control, taking into account inertia, insulation, etc…

I have skills in bash scripting, but no knoweldge in python programming.