Fresh HA Core Installation on ARMv7

Fair enough glad you got it working

1 Like

Didn’t work long, though… A few days on, and I am back to an old “friend”, which forced me to go Docker on most of my Pi’s last year:

2023-02-01 11:41:06.544 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.util.json] Could not parse JSON content: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/.storage/core.entity_registry
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/util/json.py”, line 39, in load_json
return orjson.loads(fdesc.read()) # type: ignore[no-any-return]
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/codecs.py”, line 322, in decode
(result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xf8 in position 2248: invalid start byte

And that line, 322, is " “translation_key”: null,". I guess I’ll have to go back to Docker. This time I have set up the Car Pi with the new network manager system, so maybe I won’t have to struggle with the access point now.

Are you on a SD card?

Yeah. I did use USB SSDs a while back, but I dropped them because the newer Endurance cards are very reliable, compared to older stuff.

Hmmm I think I would try a new card

I can try that now. I have come to the point on yet a new setup where I was going to install Docker, but I have made an image backup so I can first try to repeat the installation of core, with Python 3.10. I have the bash files, so I don’t have to copy in the commands from scratch, I can do it in batches, which saves a lot of time.

Different card, slightly diferent error, same problem. Core has gotten a real mess the last half year, amost like they are trying to force people to Hassio or Docker.

hass
2023-02-01 20:41:47.872 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.util.json] Could not parse JSON content: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/.storage/core.area_registry
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/util/json.py”, line 39, in load_json
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xf8 in position 795: invalid start byte
2023-02-01 20:41:47.881 ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [homeassistant.util.json] Could not parse JSON content: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/.storage/core.entity_registry
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xf8 in position 2225: invalid start byte

Edit: I deleted the storage folder and copied everything else to the new setup, this time it worked. Maybe there was an error in the core.entity_registry format, or something?

Nah, a few reboots, and it complains about another file:

feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/storage.py”, line 143, in _async_load_data
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: data = await self.hass.async_add_executor_job(
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 58, in run
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.10/site-packages/homeassistant/util/json.py”, line 45, in load_json
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: raise HomeAssistantError(error) from error
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen hass[1429]: homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: ‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xf8 in position 25384: invalid start byte
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen systemd[1]: [email protected]: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen systemd[1]: [email protected]: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
feb. 01 22:05:03 mastiffmobilen systemd[1]: [email protected]: Consumed 2.749s CPU time.

And this is yet another card. So this is just about the same I had in this thread:

Docker next, I’m afraid.

Try doing a. Clean install using tutorial including the python update

do a clean image of raspberry pi and do all the updates reboot

then do this

reboot

then do this follow carefully

I just fired up my test raspberry pi and it is running core installed via the instructions I posted and I just updated it to the latest HA 2023.2

and it is working wants to configure a bunch of my smart home stuff

I did notice that it takes a while to load up from the update but I am use to running on a I7 PC so the pi performance may be normal

Yeah, but I’m pretty sure you don’t use any Norwegian characters, æøå, in it. 0xf8 is ø. I have a sneaking feeling that it may be the problem. It’s not reacting to the lines it says, but to lines with special characters in. But I will give it one more try, with the clean image I have saved. Probably won’t have time for that until the weekend, though. I have spent far too much time on this on workdays (but because I work for myself the boss isn’t too much of a problem).

Edit: Even if the errors comes from the storage files, it doesn’t originate there. I can use the installed config when I copy that back. But if I put in a special character in an entity friendly name, an automation or anywhere else, this happens after from one to several reboots. And I’m not going to bow down to “Aapne doerlaas” (Åpne dørlås - Open door lock) and similar names, I’ll go Docker before I do that. I work as a translator, and using Norwegian as it is written is a principle I refuse to drop. :grin:

Ah I understand but the docker version may not like the special characters either as once up and running the interface is the same

Actually, no. That has not been a problem with Docker at all. I have been running three Pi’s with Docker and otherwise identical setup since December, and they work. But so far the one I have done with your info is working, I’ll let it run for a couple of days and see if that continues. I didn’t see much different in how I did it, but I am guessing that there may be a dependancy that I didn’t put in, but you did.

Edit: Nope, there it came. UTF error again So now I’m going docker here too. I seriously hope it doesn’t mess up my new acces point setup.