Fresh HA Core Installation on ARMv7

I have been trying to install Home Assistant Core on a computer board following this tutorial for the past few days, but I haven’t succeed after multiple failed attempts. I keep on running into this strange “failing building wheel for cryptography”. I didn’t have problem installing it on other platform before.

I noticed that other people have encountered this problem two years ago, but none of that suggestion solutions work for my case. I even tried installing without virtualenv, but I got some sort of coding error instead.

I am stuck now. Can anyone instruct me the right way to install Home Assistant on Libre Computer Tritium H3 running Armbian 22.08 Jammy?

the solution I found no longer is valid as the option to install without rust is no longer I have a raspberry pi in my RV that is stuck on a older version because I have yet found a path to update it that works

my home system is on a PC 386/64 system running debian 11 and it is on the latest I have built a tutorial step by step on that but that does not seem to apply to ARM

Finally, after more troubleshooting and researching, I am able to make much progress. It turns out I had four different problems.

First of all, my computer board only has 512 MB of memory. The compilation requires more than that; otherwise, it would just hang on building cryptography. To resolve this problem, I create a swap file following this tutorial.

By default, /tmp directory is created to have half of the system memory size. Without sufficient disk temporary space to work with, the cryptography build will fail complaining about LLVM ERROR: IO failure on output stream: No space left on device. To resolve this problem, I need to modify the /tmp directory size to 1GB by editing /etc/fstab

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs mode=1777,strictatime,nosuid,nodev,size=1G 0 0

The compilation of cryptography requires the correct version of Rust. Eventually, I dig around GitHub and found a correct command to install Rust:

sudo apt-get install rustc

Lastly, cryptography needs cargo installed. It can be installed with the following command:

sudo apt install cargo

Now I am running into Home Assistant initial setup issue, but that is another problem.

Okay, got the initial Home Assistant setup issue resolved. It was missing two packages.

pip3 install sqlalchemy
pip3 install fnvhash

ok at what step of the install do you need to insert your commands?

I am not sure which one you are referring to.

The installation of rustc and cargo must be done before this command:

sudo -u homeassistant -H -s

The same goes for editing /etc/fstab file and creating the swap file. Make sure to reboot the system for the changes to take effect.

The two missing packages should be entered before running Hass for the first time.

Ok I will verify and update my install tutorial thanks

It seems Home Assistant is running rather slow on the computer board. I guess it needs more CPU speed to run it properly. Sigh!

Interesting have you loaded it with integrations or is the fresh install running slow?