Fresh HA Install Keeps Restarting

First I’ll start with my system’s information.

Device Details:

• Raspberry Pi 3B+
  • 256GB SD Card Flashed With HA
  • Network: Onboard Ethernet

System Details:

• Core Version: 2024.7.3
  • Supervisor Version: 2024.06.2
  • Operating System Version: 12.4
  • Frontend Version: 20240710.0

System Logs:

Addon’s Installed:

• ESPHome
  • MotionEye
  • Node-RED
  • Spotify Connect
  • Samba Share
  • Music Assistant Server
  • LMS Lyrion Music Server

I have just installed HA a few days ago for the reason of connecting my three ESP32’s to it to control relay boards for electric water valves, soil moisture sensors and temperature and humidity sensors for my grandparent’s greenhouse. I have used HA many times before and have never had any problems I had not inflicted upon myself and was able to go back and fix.

Alright, so here is my problem. After flashing my SD card I put my card into my Raspberry Pi and booted HA after setting the system up, it had worked fine, found my devices, paired with them and was able to operate them. After a few hours I had decided to try connecting my ESP’s to my HA only to find that HA wouldn’t stay on long enough to fully flash my ESP’s. This is when I noticed that HA was shutting down and restarting itself it seems to be doing this every ten minutes. I have tried stopping all of my Addons and turning off start on boot as a way of seeing if they were the cause of my problems, but with them off there was no change. I found there were errors being given by Supervisor on boot so I will include my logs in a PasteBin link at the top of this post. I do not know of what may be causing my HA to reboot itself endlessly but it has become a great problem as I am not able to fully flash my ESP32’s.

Any Ideas of fixing this problem would be very appreciated!

Thanks,
– Johnathan White

Odds are it’s a memory issue. You’re running 7 mostly heavy addons in addition to HA on a pi3b with its measly 1GB of Ram.

Even if you shut down all the other addons, compiling in Esphome is an extremely intensive process which I doubt the pi can handle.

Install the system monitor integration & have a look at the ram usage. It’ll probably be maxed out constantly and using swap.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply, I will get the System Monitor running an let you know what I get.
supposing RAM is an issue do you know of a tool I could use perhaps on my windows computer to compile the YAML file for flashing to my ESP32’s?

https://esphome.io/guides/installing_esphome.html

Try this webpage.

1 Like

Thanks! This is allowed me to compile the YAML on my computer!

So I stopped the ESPHome addon with every other addon stopped and HA is still rebooting in the same general Interval, which leads me to thinking that my problem may not be in the addons. Perhaps It is something within this version of HA?

Check your logs for clues.

They are posted in the main post.

Sorry, missed that. Do you still get

2024-07-27 14:20:27.720 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.util] The system could not validate that the sqlite3 database at //config/home-assistant_v2.db was shutdown cleanly

? You might have a corrupt database.

1 Like

Yes I do. I have also gotten this error, if it means anything, three times in a row on the log page.

2024-07-29 05:57:39.937 WARNING (sentry-sdk.BackgroundWorker) [urllib3.connectionpool] Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NameResolutionError(“<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fb379f770>: Failed to resolve ‘o427061.ingest.sentry.io’ ([Errno -3] Try again)”)’: /api/5370612/envelope/

The sqlite3 database error definitely points towards a corrupt database.

Honestly, I’m not surprised - your poor SD card is constantly being written to due to it being used as Swap. It’s a matter of if, not when, your card becomes corrupted, so do yourself a favour and make sure you have backups stored somewhere other than the SD card.

It’s time you started thinking about moving to better hardware, something which can handle your current and future usage.

1 Like

Thanks, for your help! Is there anything you would recommend as a “future proof” computer that can run HA that wouldn’t be too costly?

Here catch - this thread has a few pointers. Plenty of similar threads if you search around the forums. Good luck!

Thanks a bunch for your help! I will try to find one that will work for me.

1 Like