Fresh hassio install, not able to install add-ons

I installed hassio on my RPI Model B+ for testing purposes. Followed the instructions: wrote image to 8 Gb microSD, put it in the RPI with wired internet and started it up. So far so good: I could see hassio via the web interface.
My first action was installing the SSH server add-on but that failed: I could click on it in the add-on store, en after that on install. The busy signal was circling around for a while but then it stopped and nothing was installed. I tried to install some other add-ons, but that did not work but with the same result. Also no error messages.

I spent the afternoon searching for solutions but could not really find something. Does anyone have a tip for me?

Many thanks in advance!

The latest hassio supervisor has a dns issue that may be affecting you.

Thanx Tom, for your quick reply. But what do I do next?
I want to try hass.io as the the preferred version of Home Assistant, but from your message I understand it does not work?
I have run Domoticz for some years now, and last year added zigbee2mqtt, but am a bit worried by the ‘closed source’ feeling I get from Domoticz lately, so I am really eager to try out hass.io!

I would hold off for the issue to be resolved. Even if you workaround the first issue you may come across more as you add in devices that may be your config or may be a result of this issue.
I wouldn’t let this put you off though as a user of hassio for the last year or so it’s been a very stable platform in my experience.

Thanx for weighing in, Pete. But I am not really sure what I am holding off for?
I realize that I am primarely an end user and I apreciate a lot what people behind this kind of projects are doing, but it is a bit frustrating that the 1st thing I try to do after a celan install just does not work?
From the activity on the forum it seems that this particular problem is not very frequent, and therefore not urgently on the radar of the developers?

Really saying ‘wait until it’s fixed’ could take a long time.

I would do a VENV on install on Raspbian as detailed here:

In order to play around with HA and get used to it, then can always try out Hassio at a later date when the issues are fixed on another SD card.

Thanks, HypnoToad. Although I really don’t expect Home Assistant to be a ‘turn key’ device, I would like to limit my time needed to get hands on experience. Figuring out how to get the basic functionality working (before I can get on with what I really want: controlling my home and everything in it) will take up to much of that limited time?
I would expect that for the most end user friendly version of HA the ability to install add-ons in hass.io is core functionality? And when that does not work I suppose that would be fixed with the highest urgency? But from the reactions in this thread and other activity on the forum I get the impression that the sense of urgency concerning this particular problem is not that high? Or does it affect only a small number of users (or just me)?
It is not my intention to complain, just trying to get an idea what I would be waiting for, and how long that will take …

It was fixed 3 days ago. Name resolution problem since 0.97.2 - #43 by frenck

Give it another go.

Having tried both Venv and HassIO I can say HassIO is definately the easier option for someone just starting out.

However the Venv version isn’t too difficult if you’ve run python scripts before, and somewhat familiar with linux.

I would give HassIO another try first if the issue has been fixed, and if it works great, but if it doesn’t I’d recommend the Venv route :slight_smile:

Must be a case of bad luck: today I installed a fresh hass.io image on my rpi but I still can not install add-ons. I can click on install (by example for the ssh add-on), the busy symbol appears, but after a while that stops and nothing seems to have happened, at least the add-on is not installed.
Last line of the system log (in red):
19-08-25 13:56:21 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/armhf-addon-ssh:6.3 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found (“no such image: homeassistant/armhf-addon-ssh:6.3: No such image: homeassistant/armhf-addon-ssh:6.3”).

Some more entries popped up in the system log, including some errors. Anyone any idea?

19-08-31 09:04:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Found new HassOS CLI version
19-08-31 09:04:20 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker.interface] Update image homeassistant/armhf-hassio-cli:11 to homeassistant/armhf-hassio-cli:14
19-08-31 09:04:20 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/armhf-hassio-cli tag 14.
19-08-31 09:04:40 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/armhf-hassio-cli:14 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found ("no such image: homeassistant/armhf-hassio-cli:14: No such image: homeassistant/armhf-hassio-cli:14").
19-08-31 09:04:40 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.hassos] HassOS CLI update fails
19-08-31 09:04:40 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished coro=<Tasks._update_hassos_cli() done, defined at /usr/src/hassio/hassio/tasks.py:196> exception=HassOSUpdateError()>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/tasks.py", line 207, in _update_hassos_cli
    await self.sys_hassos.update_cli()
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/hassos.py", line 193, in update_cli
    raise HassOSUpdateError() from None
hassio.exceptions.HassOSUpdateError
19-08-31 09:39:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.store.git] Update add-on https://github.com/hassio-addons/repository repository
19-08-31 09:39:20 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.store.git] Update add-on https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-addons repository
19-08-31 09:39:21 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Fetch update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
19-08-31 09:39:27 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.store] Load add-ons from store: 59 all - 0 new - 0 remove

Anyone? Thanx!