Name resolution problem since 0.97.2

I’ve done 3 full reboots now and my corefile with the dns server I added via the command has been retained. No idea why you are losing yours. It’s stored in a persistent area of the disk…

That response is genius! Thank you, I just resolved an issue because of this little piece of text. Thanks!

3 Likes

Would the supervisor make use of a hosts file if it existed? (I know, dark-ages networking :slight_smile: )

In a normal system, I’d know where to create one and test it, but I just don’t know how to approach this in the Hass IO system

Anyone know when the fix will be out, I’m still getting random DNS results for what should be internal devices, sometimes internal IPs sometimes incorrect external IPs

@bucksbass Fix was just released, for more details, see my comment here:

https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/1231#issuecomment-522312855

:information_source: Supervisor 180 has been released

This release addresses a couple of issues & comments:

• Google DNS has been replaced by the privacy-aware Quad9
  • Random hostnames no longer resolve to AWS.
  • localhost should now work, independent of add-on state.
  • Custom DNS is now preferred correctly, CloudFlare & Quad9 are secondary
  • Ability added to restart Hass.io DNS to apply settings

:information_source: All add-ons providing the hassio CLI have been updated with CLI v3.1.0

This version of the CLI adds the hassio dns restart command, connecting to the restarting endpoint added in Supervisor 180.

:information_source: Setting your own DNS server

This requires both supervisor 180 and the latest add-ons with CLI v3.1.0

• hassio dns options --servers dns://IP_ADDRESS
  • hassio dns restart

Thank you all for the feedback, sorry for the trouble :+1:

16 Likes

Confirmed! Thanks for the quick fix frenck!

1 Like

Two errors for me:

19-08-18 12:28:59 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.dns] Can’t write local resolv: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/etc/resolv.conf’

hassio dns restart
The dns command allows you to manage the internal Hass.io DNS server by
exposing commands to view, monitor, configure and control it.

Usage:
hassio dns [command]

Examples:

hassio dns logs
hassio dns info
hassio dns update

Available Commands:
info Shows information about the internal Hass.io DNS server
logs View the log output of the Hass.io DNS server
options Allow to set options for the internal Hass.io DNS server
stats Provides system usage stats of the Hass.io DNS server
update Updates the internal Hass.io DNS server

Hi, i’ve updated to the latest hassio supervisor 180, but my local hostnames are still not resolved. It should get my router IP as the first DNS server from DHCP, but it seems it doesn’t ?

@bucksbass Update the add-ons, as listed in my post. That is CLI v3.0.0, which indeed does not have the restart command.

Regarding the error, please report issues on GitHub, thanks :+1:

If you want to use a custom DNS, please read my post. By default it doesn’t use it. This releases addresses a part of the issues.

None of my add-ons are showing they need updates.

will a future release bring this behaviour as default ?

Go to the add-on store, top right corner a refresh button is shown… .hit it!

2 Likes

Cheers for the work Frenck
Choo-choo homie

1 Like

We are looking into the possibilities.

that would seem quite normal to honor the DNS returned by the DHCP. Fiddling with commands to setup something that everyone seems to expect as default is a bit counter-intuitive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agree, this release we’ve focused on getting the heat and biggest issues out first. Which is simply more important right now.

I give up. Sorry but I’ve lost confidence in this platform, although I appreciate your attempts to fix this I don’t really enjoy spending my valuable weekends looking for problems caused by an auto update that I have no control over. It’s just fortunate that it was this weekend, had it been last weekend I would have been away for a week with a broken system that should have been in vacation mode, this is why I want to control when things update.

Sorry to rant but that’s where I am right now.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Wish you all the best though, and maybe see you again in the future!

Did you know I have a full-time job and do this for hobby and fun? Besides that, I have a family to take care of. Spending my valuable time on this for no reason at all? We are all doing our best, this is open-source software. Everybody can contribute, don’t expect a commercial product for the free price.

Still, I understand, thanks for being around. Seriously, hope to see you some time again.

6 Likes