Friendly names are being unfriendly

I’m sure I am just doing something dumb with spacing, but I cannot get input_boolean to work with friendly names. In my example, the first set works but the second does not. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Never mind. I got it working with name rather than friendly_name. If anyone can tell me WHY that works, I would appreciate it. :slight_smile:

The way you are doing it you are defining the input_boolean twice… the second set should be in a customize section, not a second definition of input_boolean

Correct. I was just trying to display the two sets to the forum. I’m not using both concurrently in the yaml. I probably just did a bad job of explaining that.

so in customize, wouldn’t htey be:
input_boolean.harmony_goodnight_boolean etc? Then the friendly name would be accepted…

It’s sort of annoying that if you’re configuring the entity in the YAML configuration explicitly (vs. being instantiated by way of some discovery mechanism) you have to split the config for that entity and put common stuff like friendly_name in the customize section. It would be nice to be able to consolidate these configuration keys in just the one place.

Depends on the component… the ‘name’ he mentions might do just that…

From the docs:

# Example configuration.yaml entry
input_boolean:
  notify_home:
    name: Notify when someone arrives home
    initial: off
    icon: mdi:car

So that’s where and why the name works… but friendly name is for customize…

1 Like

Got it. Thanks!