Frigate recording too much

I am trying to set up the driveway camera to turn on the outside light when a car or person is seen. This much I have working. However, Frigate is recording several days of events and recordings. (I am using my office camera for experimenting).

I have retain set to 1, but I am showing 5 days of recordings. What am I doing wrong?

Why is this important? I do a nightly backup using Samba Backup and with Frigate recording my backups are approaching 10Gb. I have yet to find a way to do an automated backup excluding the media folder.

office:
    ffmpeg:
      inputs:
        - path: rtsp://cam4:[email protected]/live
          roles:
            - detect
            - rtmp
            - record
    rtmp:
      enabled: False
    detect:
      width: 1920
      height: 1080
      enabled: True

record:
      expire_interval: 60   #Cleanup every 60 minutes
      retain:
        days: 1
      events:
        pre_capture: 15     #seconds
        post_capture: 5
    snapshots:
      timestamp: false
      bounding_box: true
      retain:
        default: 1
    objects:
      track:
        - dog   
        - person    

You set the amount of days for continuous recording, there is still the default event based recording of 10 days

Then, I am lost. The only place that I see “continuous” in the Frigate Docs is in the Birds Eye section. How do I disable continuous recording?

My goal is to trigger an automation on detection of a person or car in the zone. (I am using the dog as a metaphor for car in my test). And to reduce the storage used.

Thanks. I finally grok.
The example code at Object Specific Retention finally made sense. At least regarding retention.