Frigate USB Coral external SSD

Hi,

Using a PI4 with a external SSD and Frigate with a external USB Coral and reading the power requirements I see I should be using a external powered USB hub. Am I best to have both the SSD and USB Coral on the hub to USB 3.0 connector on the PI 4?

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/specifications/
PI 4
A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

5 Power specifications
The USB Accelerator is powered by 5V from the USB interface through on-board power management chip (PMIC).
The device should be connected to a host computer with a USB cable that provides at least 500 mA at 5 V. Please note that when the device runs at maximum speed , it can draw a peak current of 900mA

https://docs.frigate.video/installation

Frigates
Additionally, the USB Coral draws a considerable amount of power. If using any other USB devices such as an SSD, you will experience instability due to the Pi not providing enough power to USB devices. You will need to purchase an external USB hub with it’s own power supply
Thoughts?

If I connect the Coral direct to the PI it works and triggers motion and detects person. If I connect via a powered USB hub the Frigate logs show TPU found ok

[2021-10-19 15:49:09] ws4py INFO : Using epoll
[2021-10-19 15:49:09] frigate.mqtt INFO : Turning on snapshots for Front_Dome_CCTV via mqtt
[2021-10-19 15:49:09] ws4py INFO : Using epoll
[2021-10-19 15:49:13] frigate.edgetpu INFO : TPU found

Now if I trigger motion ie a person I get this error

F driver/usb/usb_driver.cc:1148] HandleQueuedBulkIn transfer in failed. Data loss: USB transfer error 6 [LibUsbDataInCallback]
Fatal Python error: Aborted

Thoughts USB hub is USB 3 powered with 2.5a 5v and connected to the PI 4 top blue USB connected with the lower USB 3.0 going to the external SSD drive

So I have this working with the Coral USB TPU on the PI USB 2.0 port rather that SSD and Coral on USB 3.0.

SSD/Coral both connected to the PI USB 3 works except power is not sufficient under load.
PI4 supplies downstream 500mA, SSD uses 297mA under load and Coral requires 500-900mA under load.

Added a 4 port USB powered hub and added the Coral with the hub connected to the PI USB 3 port, SSD to PI USB 3 port- result TPU detected but during motion - Data loss: USB transfer error 6.

Added a 4 port USB powered hub and added the Coral with the hub connected to the PI USB 2 port , SSD to PI USB 3 port - result TPU detected - motion detected records and works as expected.

So the question is powered hub is USB 3.0/3.1 and PI is USB 2.0/3.0, Coral is USB 3.0.
So why cant I connect the hub to PI USB 3.0 with SSD directly attached to PI or do I need to attached SSD and Coral to external hub then to PI USB 3.0 port?

@droidblast

Hey and i have the same problem, but i dont have a hab, i connect usb coral and ssd on rpi’s 4 usb 3 ports.

Did you find a solution?

My power supply is an Argon ONE Pi 4 Power Supply (Raspberry Pi)

• Supports the Raspberry Pi 4 B
  • Argon ONE Power Supply is UL Listed and Certified
  • Output 5.25 volts DC; 3.5 Amps Regulated 18 WATTS
  • Input 100V to 240V AC

To date no fix still have it connected via the USB 2.0 port and it seems to be working apart from suspect a memory leak that takes 3-4 weeks to slowly build up but a scheduled reboot fixes this. Seems strange you cant use the USB 3.0 por?

Hi, did you make any progress on this? I am having the same issue since connecting a Coral stick recently. My hardware environment is the same as yours. Do you use an external USB hub now for the Coral, or have you found any other solution?

@sahni @droidblast

I did find a solution.

First of all rpi 4 usb ports all together compined output is 1.2Amps. Coral uses on pick 900mA.
If you got and an SSD rpi doesnt have the power so its freezes.

I did buy an power USB 3 Hub and i use it for the coral only and it fixed the problem.

Could you tell us which USB 3 Hub you are using?

Agree except it didn’t fix my issue. Swap file builds over 2-3 weeks then suspect its freezes?

I used the following: Unitek Y-3089 USB3.0 4-Port hub - Super Speed Data Transfer Rate up to 5Gbps- Plug and play - LED Indicator - Includes Optional Power Port (Micro USB)

Powering it: Dynamix SPAUSB-5V2.4A 5V 2.4A Small Form Single Port USB Wall Charger. Portable Universal Power Adapter Charger for Phone, Tablet &more. Small, Light Weight & Easy to Carry. White Colour

Cable to power it: Dynamix SPAUSB-5V2.4A 5V 2.4A Small Form Single Port USB Wall Charger. Portable Universal Power Adapter Charger for Phone, Tablet &more. Small, Light Weight & Easy to Carry. White Colour

Keen to see a photo of where as is what USB ports where you have items plugged in please?
Off memory this is the only way I got it to work.

Also on the hub I have these plugged into the hub.

Zexmte 100M USB Bluetooth Adapter Bluetooth 5.1 Transmitter 328ft Wireless Bluetooth Audio Receiver USB Dongle For PC Computer

Wireless Zigbee CC2531 Sniffer Bare Board Packet Protocol Analyzer Bluetooth Module with antenna USB Interface Dongle Capture
CC2531 Antenna

And Corale is in the hub

There was on frigate docs for Rpi recomendations. But the problem is tha it backfire power, so when you restart rpi or you have an power outage the Rpi doesnt boot until you unplygged.

So, i bought that power usb 3 hub then i bought also another one with out power and the connection on the Rpi was, Usb 3 port 1: Coral > usb 3 hub w/o power > usb 3 hub with power > Rpi Usb 3 port.
One the other usb 3 RPi port i plug the SSD and on Usb 2 Port Conbee 2 for zigbee