From avoidance to amazement (my Lovelace setup)

Hey there!

I avoided Lovelace as long as it was possible and thought that my UI based on groups and views (defined in packages) is far better than a complex setup of looping lovelace yaml.

I was so terribly wrong.

Let me present you some extracts from my current UI. I hope for feedback as my wish to improve is huge…

Right now definitively not comparable with the eyecandy some other people showed in previous posts but my main goal to make an adaptable interface for both the browser and mobile devices is kinda achieved…

I played around with conditional cards to filter information (e.g. “Update HomeAssistant” only appearing when there is a version mismatch or dynamic cards when a device is on- or offline…) and stacked additional information in foldable rows. Most of the graphs used are “dynamic” with a time range defined in a input_select.

IMHO the UI looks pretty clean and isn’t overloaded as my old setup was.

Let me know what you think.

Special thanks to @norien for some inspiring ideas and @thomasloven, @iantrich and @ludeeus for their help and the great custom components they made!

Pictures:

Lovelace:
lovelace-ui.yaml (for custom cards)
Views

sample packages:
Device Status
Sonoff1

12 Likes

Great work! It always amazes me how far the frontend has come since the first days I started playing with Home Assistant. It’s quite incredible the level of customization we have now!

I am also loving the interactive conditional cards and have several uses for them already, such as popups for low batteries that need changing, devices which are offline and shouldn’t be, custom components and cards which have available updates and good morning/night buttons which only appear during the times they would need to be used! It’s been nice cleaning up my packages of old customize which was fragmented and confusing!

Here is where i’m currently at with my sensor/stats page -

3 Likes

Wauw could you attach your config?

Of course, check me out on GitHub - https://github.com/Norien/Home-Assistant-Config

@void How did you get the split columns (eg 2 card side by side in a single column)?

I’ve tried doing this with nested custom:layout-card but this results in a lot of padding on either side.

@norien How did you manage to do the multiple / split sub-columns?

Just mix and match vertical-stack and horizontal-stack cards

Yup, I see that now. I just had a look at your repo. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Norien,

Can you post the config of the download/upload speeds sensor? How did you manage to put those two into one sensor?